Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Movie  » Movies  »
  • I thought the book itself was too long, so I don't mind the movie being shortest
  • Everyone I've read commenting on the dementors seems to like them better in Order of the Phoenix, whereas I prefer the ones in movie 3

• by a_muse_me

Note: This review of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix contains spoilers.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is my 2nd favorite Potter film out of the first five, but just like with Prisoner of Azkaban it took some time for me to get adjust.

Here’s what I love:

- Some of the songs in the score. I particularly like the music that plays during the Dumbledore’s Army training scene, the Order vs. Death Eaters battle in the Ministry of Magic, the O.W.L. mayhem scene featuring the troublemaking Weasley twins, Voldemort’s possession of Harry, and the Death Eater’s arrival at the Department of Mysteries to obtain the prophecy.

- The toning down of angry Harry. Even though I’m less annoyed by it now than when I first read the

book, this is one instance where I really care one way or another that the movie industry deviated drastically from the book. I’m glad they decided to have movie Harry be more moody than yelling at someone every other scene.

- Not including so much Grawp … or Hagrid either. This chapter in the Order of the Phoenix book is one I always skip, and after Goblet of Fire, Hagrid was getting on my nerves as a character.

- Some people might complain that Order of the Phoenix is too short, given that it’s the longest book. I thought the book itself was too long, so I don’t mind the movie being shortest. The only place where this might have affected things is in the editing of the film.

- I liked ...

• the way Dan has Harry cast the Patronus charm at the beginning. He sounds more natural here than in Prisoner of Azkaban.

- “Sorry Professor, but I must not tell lies.” Harry putting the verbal smackdown on Umbridge.

- The CGI of the thestrals is very close to how I imagine them.

- The lighting of the scene in the Hogshead pub was great and made everyone look good.

- The transition from Voldemort opening his eyes in the flashback to Goblet to Harry opening his eyes in bed in Order of the Phoenix.

Here’s what I don’t love:

- Sometimes the editing of the film was strange. It was a bit too abrupt in places.

- The look of the dementors. Everyone I’ve read commenting on the dementors seems to like them better in Order

of the Phoenix, whereas I prefer the ones in movie 3.

- The ending for Order of the Phoenix, though not as bad as Goblet of Fire, is still too anticlimatic for me.

Things I’m neutral about:

- I started out not liking the haircut Harry had, because I thought it was too short. But now I don’t mind it much.

Things I find peculiar:

- I do have to wonder … with all the secrecy about the existence of magical people among muggles, why would you have witches and wizards flying on broomsticks in plain view of Muggles on a boat in London? Yeah, it was a neat shot, but what about the International Statute of Secrecy?

- Why isn’t Harry carrying his own luggage to Platform 9 and 3 quarters like everyone else?

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112304674410830/k2311a0423/4.23.09