Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Movie  » Movies  »
  • I was bored watching television on Saturday evening and decided to start channel flipping to see if I could find something interesting
  • I still cringe at the acting of the 3 main young stars, though I can clearly point out what I thought was each actor's best
  • For Emma Thompson, I think it was the train scene
  • I was impressed by the transition that the actor who played Professor Quirrell made in the end

• by a_muse_me

Note: This review of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone might contain spoilers.

I first saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone back in March 2008 on ABC Family channel. I was bored watching television on Saturday evening and decided to start channel flipping to see if I could find something interesting. I landed on #54 and saw this dark-haired kid in glasses sitting in a big room full of people with a talking hat on his head. I knew from all the commercials and promotions for Sorcerer’s Stone that this must be one of the Harry Potter movies and, never having read the books, decided to see what all the fuss was about.

I’ve since purchased the DVD and watched it multiple times. I still cringe at the acting of the 3 main young stars, though I can clearly point out what I thought was each actor’s best. For Emma

Thompson, I think it was the train scene. I especially liked the way she says “And you are …” to Ron when Hermione’s introducing herself. For Rupert, I liked his work in the large, transfigured chess piece scene towards the climax of the film, and I think this sticks out to me because Rupert has rarely gotten the chance to play serious Ron since. And for Daniel, I loved his wink into the Mirror of Erised near the end of the movie and his first scene with the Mirror when Harry saw his parents was very touching as well.

As for the some of the other actors, I liked Tom Felton throughout, especially all his little smirks (like the sorting hat scene). I was impressed by the transition that the actor who played Professor Quirrell made in the end. Who would have guessed he’d really sound like that with all of ...

• his higher pitched stuttering earlier? I remember seeing Dame Maggie Smith in a couple of other things previously and she is exactly who I’d picture Professor McGonagall to be. Whenever I read the Harry Potter books, she is one of the few actors I picture in my head whenever the character shows up. And I thought Alan Rickman (the voice!) was great and Richard Harris made a fine Dumbledore for the first movie.

One question I still have to this day that takes me out of the story a bit is why allow Draco and Harry to go off alone at night in the Forbidden Forest during detention with nothing but a cowardly dog for protection when something that’s killing unicorns is on the loose? That same something might not have any qualms about killing kids, and the fact that an eyebrow wasn’t really raised at this by anyone… though I suppose

that’s a fault of the book more than the movie.

But despite that, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone drew me into its magical world, as it’s done for many others. My favorite scenes include: seeing all those owls at Privet Drive as Harry looks out the window, the sorting hat, Harry’s first Quidditch match, the flashback to Godric’s Hollow, Hedwig taking flight during the winter and coming back (I especially love the score that plays during this scene), and Snape in the potions class.

It turns out ABC Family were having a Harry Potter movie marathon for the first 3 films over that weekend, so I got to see the next 2 within the following 24 hours. I’m glad I did, and now not only do I own all the books and the first 5 movies, but I’m now an anxious Harry Potter fan waiting for the release of movie 6 and beyond.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112204673560830/k2311a0422/4.22.09