Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Book  » Books  »
  • I thought Draco had a right to be mad in that scene, but in the book the reason for the animosity on Harry's side makes more sense and it seems more in character for him
  • All in all, I love the books but this is probably the Harry Potter book I read the least
  • I believe it's due to the fact that it's the most kid-dish one of the seven

• by a_muse_me

Note: This Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone book review may contain spoilers.

I watched the movie version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone before I’d read the book. Well, I actually didn’t technically “read” the book; I listened to the Jim Dale audio version of it first. When I was a teenager, reading horror/suspense or mystery stories where things aren’t spelled out for you right from the outset were my favorite to read. So the mysterious way in which Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone started out (and Jim Dale’s different voices for the characters) was right up my

alley of intrigue.

I loved reading Harry and Draco meeting in Diagon Alley at Madam Malkin’s. Not only because this is Harry’s first meeting with someone his own age in the wizarding world, but because (unlike the movie) it makes it clear that Harry doesn’t like Draco because of his similarities to Dudley. See, in the movie, it makes it seem like Harry starts hating Draco because of Draco’s knee-jerk reaction to Ron laughing about his name. I thought Draco had a right to be mad in that scene, but in the book the reason for the animosity on Harry’s side ...

• makes more sense and it seems more in character for him.

For some reason, almost every time I’m re-reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, I’m mildly surprised that it was Hagrid and not Ron who first raised the flag to Harry about Slytherin House. This is one of those points where I used to get the book version and the movie version confused all the time.

I didn’t care much about Norbert the dragon (I’m actually glad the movie cut this short). I didn’t mind it so much on first reading, but now having read the rest of the books where

Hagrid’s love for dangerous things above concern for anything else started to really bug me, this in retrospect kind of bothers me as well.

I was surprised to hear that the scene where Harry and Draco are sent off alone in the Forbidden Forest was actually in the book. I guess I had thought in the back of my mind that that was an embellishment by the movie industry.

All in all, I love the books but this is probably the Harry Potter book I read the least. I believe it’s due to the fact that it’s the most kid-dish one of the seven.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Book

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172204673540830/k2311a0422/4.22.09