Capilano Suspension Bridge  » Entertainment  »
2.5
3735 Capilano Road, North Vancouver, BC, Canada
  • We walked around the park a bit, and enjoyed the rainforest
  • All I can say about the experience was, oh god

• by Jessie Bahrey

Most of my friends and acquaintances express shock that, as a person who has spent all by 6 years of my life living near Vancouver, BC, I have yet to cross Vancouver’s oldest tourist attraction, the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Built in the late 1880s, the footbridge is suspended across a canyon over the Capilano River; it is 230 feet high and 450 feet long, and it sways-yes, it moves as you walk on it. That is the reason I never wanted to take part in this particular adventure.

I have developed vertigo as I have gotten older, so much so that I am unable to go on rides

or do much of anything very high above ground level anymore, without ending up feeling terribly ill. So, as luck would have it, I recently lost a bet with my husband and the result was a trip to the bridge last week.

The bridge has expanded over the years to include a park, totem poles, gardens, restaurants, cafés, and a ‘Treetop Adventure’ attraction that boasts a series of smaller suspension bridges and viewing platforms connecting giant evergreens, from which you can view the forest below. The price for admission to the park is $27.

95 per person, which seems a ridiculous fee, but then again, this is Vancouver. We walked ...

• around the park a bit, and enjoyed the rainforest.

Certainly, it is a pretty view, but to be honest, my backyard backs onto the rainforest, so for those of us who live in the southern part of BC, the forest is not something we need to pay to see. After I could no longer postpone the inevitable, and my stalling tactics were no longer working, we climbed the steps to the bridge.

All I can say about the experience was, oh god. The swaying was sickening.

If it hadn’t been for that, I might have enjoyed some of the views, but to add the motion into the mix,

it was not at all fun. I bit my lip and finished, but remained unwell for rest of the day.

On the way out of the park we passed the obligatory gift shop filled with overpriced ‘keepsakes,’ and the waves of tourists that continually entered the park. For a city that is built in a rainforest, and with so many beautiful mountains, lakes, rivers and wooded areas all within a short distance from wherever you happen to be, paying almost thirty dollars for a view seems like robbery.

No matter how many restaurants and gift shops they construct around the Capilano Suspension bridge, it is still an overpriced, crowded, not-so-spectacular attraction.

Natalie says :

When was the Capilano bridge started and when diid it finish?

Jules Li says :

It has been re-built several times. However, it was originally built entirely in 1889.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592004672431030/k2311a0420/4.20.09