Taste Of Calgary
Eau Claire Festival Plaza, Eau Claire Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Every August, in the height of festival season in Calgary, Alberta, there is my very favourite summertime event in that city, called Taste of Calgary
  • There is a range of prices, but most samples cost 3-5 tickets each

• by Jessie Bahrey

Every August, in the height of festival season in Calgary, Alberta, there is my very favourite summertime event in that city, called Taste of Calgary. It takes place downtown in the Eau Claire plaza, and it is, simply put, a blast. I attended every summer that I lived there, and this year I am hoping to travel there specifically to attend-it is that great!

The concept is to sample food and drinks from Calgary’s restaurants and beverage companies, all the while listening to live music and enjoying the sunshine (it is always sunny during festival time). You purchase

tickets for 75 cents each, and then proceed to tour the many booths set up over the property, buying samples with your tickets. There is a range of prices, but most samples cost 3-5 tickets each. It is a great party atmosphere, and a great way to try food that you have not had a chance to try before. It is especially good for people who don’t eat out often. And the beverage booths are a great way to try new drinks. My all-time favourite drink is now Hpnotiq, which I first tasted at Taste of Calgary; ...

• it is a blend of fruit, cognac and liqueur and it is delicious. There always booths of local breweries that are marketing new beers, and some local wineries have samples available. But it is a good idea to eat before consuming too many drink samples, as I did the first time I attended this festival, and regretted it the next day.

The food choices are great, and Calgary has a wonderful selection of excellent restaurants. The festival organizers appear to attempt to get a variety of food types. There are steakhouses, pubs, French, Caribbean, Italian, Spanish, Greek and

any other variety of food you can think of. I had Jamaican patties here for the first time, and I also gained an awareness of some dining establishments which I had either never heard of before the festival or would not have otherwise tried, but on a few occasions, I went to the particular restaurant after sampling their food here. You will not need to eat again after a few hours at the Taste of Calgary festival, and with the great food and drinks, cool music and party atmosphere, it is an excellent way to spend a summer day.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592004672391030/k2311a0420/4.20.09