Glade Sense & Spray air freshener  » Housewares  »
1.0
  • This was not my experience with it at all
  • It is a bit complicated so you definitely want to save the instructions and keep them handy
  • I thought this would be a perfect replacement for that because it would only spray when someone was in the camper and that would save money on replacement sprays
  • I decided to take it out of the house and hang it on the wall in the camper where the other air freshener had been
  • In my opinion, the Glade Sense & Spray does not work like it is supposed to

• by atorturedsoul

The new Glade Sense & Spray air freshener seemed like a very good idea. It has a sensor on the front of it that is supposed to detect when someone walks by and sprays a burst of fragrance. They say the unit can be set not to spray again for another 30 minutes after that. This was not my experience with it at all.

When I first got the Glade Sense & Spray, I took it out and read through the instructions. It is a bit complicated so you definitely want to save the instructions and keep them handy. I inserted the batteries and set it in a corner of the living

room that doesn’t get a lot of traffic. I set it according to the instructions so it would not spray again for 30 minutes after it sprays.

At first, the Clean Linen scent was really nice. I had another type of air freshener inside my camper that sprays automatically every so often according to how many minutes you choose. I thought this would be a perfect replacement for that because it would only spray when someone was in the camper and that would save money on replacement sprays. I decided to take it out of the house and hang it on the wall in the camper where the other air freshener ...

• had been. This was a big mistake.

After I put it on the wall, the unit continuously sprayed one burst after another despite the setting that is supposed to keep it from doing that. In such a small area, it was quickly overwhelming. I tried to turn the unit off and it sprayed four quick bursts into the air, which nearly choked me. At that point, I no longer liked the Clean Linen scent. I tried to turn the Glade sense & Spray off again and it did the exact same thing. I had to take the batteries out to make it stop spraying. I took it out of the camper and

put my old air freshener back.

I brought the unit back into the house and once again read through the instructions and tried to get it set up right again. I put the batteries back in and followed the instructions but it still sprayed constantly. I ended up taking the batteries back out and putting the unit back in the box.

In my opinion, the Glade Sense & Spray does not work like it is supposed to. I had trouble with my allergies for days after using the unit because of it constantly spraying. It’s certainly possible that my unit was defective but I am not willing to give it another try.

Helen Lee says :

I have now bought three Glade Sense and Spray air fresheners and they have all ended up the same way - continual spraying They have all be placed in the bathroom one after another and they can be heard spraying every few seconds even when there is no one in the room. I have tried turning the product round to face the wall so that the movement sensor shouldn’t register but it still goes off. I have had it I am sick of throwing money down the toilet and will NOT be buying any more Glade products Very disappointed

Kylie N. says :

I had a similar experience to yours recently.

I am not sure if this would work in your case but for me it ended up being an easy fix. Mine contains a switch within the device that allowed you to switch its frequency. You could set to different timing intervals ( 8 minutes, 15 minutes, etc. ) or you could set it to the motion sensor. This allowed it to go off with motion but not in regular intervals.

The switch is near the battery and where the canister snaps in, it can sometimes be hard to find until you open it up and look around.

I hope this can help.

Ray says :

Started out well, then turned to custard as it keeps spraying non stop and only way to stop it was to remove the batteries.

There are so many posts in the internet about this product failing miserably, that Glade should be doing something. For me, I won’t be buying this product or it’s refills ever again. Come on Glade - what are you doing to fix this obvious major fault

Tracy says :

Sometimes when you shake it too much it turns to a thick custard consistancy. Try using it before shaking it next time.

Paul Silvester says :

re : In my opinion, the Glade Sense & Spray does not work like it is supposed to
    This Sense Spray device worked well for the first couple of weeks, up until Christmas in fact, then, and since then, it has gone through six refills and three sets of Duracell batteries until I decided enough was enough and binned it. I have been so disappointed with this product, a product that promised so much, but in real life has proven to be an absolute waste of money it has changed my mind on the quality of Glade products and I have since purchased the Airwick alternative.

Joanna says :

Hi,

I had a very similar problem with mine. It was in my guest bathroom, and after having a bunch of guests for a Christmas party it quit working,and when it did work it kept eating batteries.

It was actually a friend that solved the problem for me: The sensor was dirty. Over time, particularly if the unit undergoes frequent, repetitive use, the sensor can get covered with spray residue and dust. I’m not sure exactly how that makes it eat batteries, but after I cleaned the whole unit with a light vinegar water solution and let it air dry a few days, the problem was solved. That was about a year ago and I haven’t had any problems since. I just have to be sure that I clean the sensor eye and unit at least once a month.

One final note, I went ahead and invested in rechargeable batteries. They are often on sale and are completely worth the investment if you are wanting to keep the unit for an extended period of time.

Kim says :

Sprays non- stop every 5-10 seconds. No help from Glade website on how to stop this if it’s the setting. Sorely, disappointed that Glade does not put instructions on website for changing these settings, although I think it’s not the setting, but a defect, and was hoping to find at least instructions on the settings in case. Wasted a lot of money. :(

Jeanie A says :

My white Sense and Spray was doing the same thing and I had to take the batteries out to make it stop. I called Glade. The woman I spoke with said she hadn’t heard of that happening before.

Call Glade, people. Let them know. They will send you a coupon book and a coupon to replace the unit. They need to know this is happening.

Theresa I Batchelder says :

I bought 2 Glade air freshner sprays when on sale. I have not been able to use either can after only about 3 times of spraying. It is feels like there is a lot in the can,l when I shake the can, but nothing will come out. I do not feel like taking a chance on more if I cannot use either of the 2, I bought.

atorturedsoul replies :

It seems that they either spray too much or not enough. I have never tried it again and I don`t recommend this product.

Tracy says :

Try this. Place the nozzle under warm water for a few seconds to flush out the accumulated spray. If this doesn’t work, use a straight pin to try and unplug the hole in the nozzle. This always works for me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532004671670930/k2311a0420/4.20.09