Tiger Direct (www.tigerdirect.com)  » Business  »
  • This experience was a good test of Tiger's promises
  • The problem was in the Power Up brand case that was part of the barebones kit

• by Snickelfritz

I’ve done business with Tiger Direct many times, usually to buy individual computer components to replace dead parts or upgrade part of my computer. It had been a couple of years since my last order with Tiger, but I felt pretty confident about their products. Their 30-day return policy is fair, and I had never experienced any problems with my orders. This turned out to be my first order that arrived with problems.

Since Tiger sells many different brands of many different electronic products, it’s important to me that they stand behind their products. Nobody wants to wait for an exchanged part or be hassled about returning a defective product. This experience was a good test of Tiger’s promises.

I ordered a “barebones kit” from them recently a pre-packaged group of items consisting of a motherboard, CPU and the case to put them in. It’s a great way to upgrade to a faster motherboard and CPU without having to buy all

new hard drives, DVD and CD writers, audio and video boards. Instead, you install the new motherboard and CPU into the new case, then move other components from your old PC to the new one. I’ve done hundreds of these types of upgrades for myself and other people without incident.

This time, after putting the system together in the new case, I discovered there was a defective component that caused the system not to get any power. The problem was in the Power Up brand case that was part of the barebones kit. Since components in the kit were covered by Tiger Direct’s 30-day return policy, I called Tiger and asked if they would send me a replacement power supply to install in the case. They promptly did so without quibbling. A week later, I installed the new power supply and nothing. No power. At that point, it became clear that the problem was somewhere in the actual power switch ...

• on the case itself.

This is the only part of the experience with Tiger Direct that was frustrating. If I had been willing to wait patiently for a few weeks during the process of shipping the case back, waiting for Tiger to process the return, then a week’s shipping time for the new case to arrive, we could have done a straight across exchange of the defective case for a different one. To have the replacement case in my hands in just one week, I had to order a new case and pay for it, then they put in a request for a refund to my credit card for the amount of the defective case. It took weeks to get the refunded amount back in my account and I did have to call Tiger to have them chase down the refund at one point. Since the case was the least expensive component in the kit ($35) it wasn’t a big deal to

do it that way, but if I had been returning a $150 component it could have been a problem.

Other than the money exchange, though, the return went flawlessly. I was treated very well by Tiger Direct’s customer service and tech support people every time I had to call, and they did exactly what they said they would do every time. The only real complaint I had about the process was that Power Up provided a case that had not seen any quality control at all (see also my review about the Power Up case). Tiger simply was the middle man in the transaction & they performed well in that role.

Considering all of my previous experiences with them, I would order from Tiger Direct again and, if a defective product was involved, I would expect them to honor their promises again. The system for returns is a little bit clunky but probably no more so than it is at any other e-tailer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 411804671320430/k2311a0418/4.18.09