Zyliss Easy Slice Mandolin  » Housewares  »
  • When I think of the word mandolin, I think of the cute little guitar that renaissance people happily dance around with
  • I don't remember where I found it, but I know the price was the best
  • Well, I found slicing with the slicer rather awkward
  • It slices really well, but I don't think the blades are as sharp as they could be

• by stuckinarut

When I think of the word mandolin, I think of the cute little guitar that renaissance people happily dance around with. But, the Zyliss Easy Slice Mandolin has put a whole new picture in my head.

I had been wanting a mandolin slicer for some time. The Zyliss Easy Slice Mandolin was my first slicer and I was very happy finally to have one. I don’t remember where I found it, but I know the price was the best.

I purchased it mainly to be able to make potato chip

thin slices and I actually use it for that purpose more than anything. There is a bit of a flex at the bottom, when you slice. So it doesn’t slice a perfect measurement every time, but the difference, to me, is nothing big enough to complain about. It comes with 6 different blades that can be changed as needed. It also has a nice storage caddy that holds all the blades and it slides right on the mandolin slicer itself, so you can store the slicer and blades easily and with needing only a little room.

It has a plastic slider shield on top, for safety when you slice and for people who like having fingers. I advise to use it and do not try doing without it, even if you think you can. I tried it without once and of course I slipped and cut my finger. Thankfully it wasn’t that bad though.

Why did I try to use it without the safety shield? Well, I found slicing with the slicer rather awkward. I tried several different ...

• Zyliss Easy Slice Mandolin
      ways and it wasn’t easy. But, after going back to using the shield I found that you just have to get use to it and most of all follow the directions that it comes with, even if it feels uncomfortable at first. I found the directions to be right on, even though it felt awkward at first.

It slices really well, but I don’t think the blades are as sharp as they could be. Sometimes when I am slicing potatoes it catches a little. I feel it catches more

with the julienne blades. It doesn’t seem like it would do that with a sharper blade. But, this is the first type I have ever used. The blade are super easy to change and just slide and snap right in.

I don’t have anything to compare it to, since it is my first, but if I had to buy the Zyliss Easy Slice Mandolin again, I would. I think it a a great choice for anyone who doesn’t have the money to buy one of the more expensive $100 ones.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531704670740930/k2311a0417/4.17.09