Ye Olde Miners Pasty Shop Zephyrhills, FL
35201 State Road 54 Zephyrhills, FL
  • It's no secret that I enjoy trying new foods so I decided to stop by and check it out
  • It smelled amazing and Allan, the owner, was very friendly and personable

• by Earth Momma

For months I would drive past a strip shopping center and notice a sign by the road that said “Pasty Shop”. I kept thinking “Wow, someone can’t spell Pastry yet they still put out the sign.” However, after many months of the same sign and the shop getting true signage with the same spelling, I started to wonder…………..perhaps they’re selling pasties for the local strippers. *gasp* If that’s the case though, why was it a “Michigan Pasty Shop” and not just a pasty shop?

I finally decided to Google and learn. That is, after all, the way to live

and learn, correct? As it turns out, a pasty is a pastry stuffed with meat and veggies. The classic pasty includes beef, potato, onions and rutabaga. It is, apparently, a staple in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Pasties were brought to the U.S. by Cornish miners. Wives could make the hearty meals in a pastry pouch and the miner could take it into the mine and eat it later.

It’s no secret that I enjoy trying new foods so I decided to stop by and check it out. My partner in crime (my husband) and I stopped at the ...

• pasty shop and ordered to “dine in”. The place only seats 8 people but it was empty. We ordered a beef and a chicken and sat down while they cooked. It smelled amazing and Allan, the owner, was very friendly and personable.

When the pasties were done, he brought them to our table with a new bottle of pastie sauce and an order of gravy for each one. We cut in to our pasties and the smell was incredible. The meat and veggies were mixed up well in the middle. Everything was diced small enough that it

mixed up weill and was a complement of flavors. They were filling and at only $4.99 each, quite a bargain. I couldn’t finish all my chicked pasty and my husband struggled to finish all of his.

The shop sells them to eat in or frozen to take home and reheat. The frozen ones have instructions on reheating in the oven. They also serve breakfast pasties now and we hope to try those some other time.

The place is clean and comfortable with friendly service and excellent prices. This is a must try for anyone who enjoys trying new things.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 71704669900730/k2311a0417/4.17.09