Real Fabrica de Tabacos Partagas  » Travel  »
Calle Industria 524, Havana, Cuba
  • The entire experience was enlightening, not just to learn the process of making cigars, but to see Cubans in their every day lives, and see how much they enjoyed their jobs

• by Jessie Bahrey

On my most recent trip to Havana, Cuba, I was determined not to miss the opportunity of touring the famous Real Fabrica de Tabacos Partagas, or better known at the Partagas Cigar Factory. I had previously only stepped inside the front entrance and been in the cigar store, and had never been able to tour the facility. This trip, my husband and I made this one of our first stops in the city.

Located in the Centro Habana section of the city, it is Cuba’s largest cigar factory. The building

is a large, 19th-century Classical style architecture. The Partagas brand of cigars, one of the most famous in the country, uses tobacco leaves produced on its plantation in another province of Cuba, and employs hundreds of workers, from teenagers to old people, all in various stages of training in their career. We arrived just in time for an English speaking tour of the facility, beyond the cigar store and sampling room that we had already spent some time in.

Now, I had expected the wonderful aroma of the tobacco to ...

• fill the air of the factory, but I did not expect to see rows and rows of workers, singing and dancing, while rolling their treasures. They appeared to be happy, and there were no sour or bored faces. There was one section where new workers were learning the art; in fact, it takes new workers 7 years before they pass their apprenticeship and are full-fledged cigar rollers. In another section of the factory, there were long sheets of tobacco leaves drying, stretched out over many feet. To see the
        cigars being made through the entire process was a wonderful treat, especially for someone like me who loves Cuban cigars. We even got to take a few of the ‘rejects’ or those cigars deemed not good enough for sale. They tasted sweet and smooth. The entire experience was enlightening, not just to learn the process of making cigars, but to see Cubans in their every day lives, and see how much they enjoyed their jobs. The Real Fabrica de Tabacos Partagas is s must-see for anyone visiting Havana, especially for cigar lovers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381604668930230/k2311a0416/4.16.09