24 Hour Fitness in Long Beach, CA  » Health  »
2.5
3030 N Bellflower Blvd, Long Beach, CA‎
  • Unfortunately, it shows, and I am always alarmed by how dated the overall quality of the building seems
  • The one positive aspect of this location, in my opinion, is that they have kept the gym equipment fairly up-to-date despite the dated quality of the building
  • I think it's pretty inconsistent to have a concern for only some aspects of your business, which seems to be this 24 Hour Fitness's ethos
  • Overall, I only recommend this 24 Hour Fitness if you have a membership and, like me, this is the closest location

• by Reed

The 24 Hour Fitness in Long Beach off of the corner of Bellflower Blvd. and Spring Street has been my gym for quite a while now. However, after visiting other 24 Hour Fitness locations, I can confidently say that the Long Beach location is in dire need of repair.

This location used to be owned by another, now defunct gym franchise, and is therefore at least twenty years old. Unfortunately, it shows, and I am always alarmed by how dated the overall quality of the building seems. The locker rooms have cracked and torn tiles, the carpeting is peeling, the walls are adorned with old, 80’s-style wall paper. In general, I would expect the owners of this

particular location to have made more cosmetic improvements, but they have failed to ever do so.

The inside of this location is always a little too warm. This is a crowded gym environment, and the amount of body heat that builds up is noticeable quickly. The air conditioning is, indeed, on most of the time, but, I suspect that because of the dated quality of the building, it doesn’t circulate the air in a proper fashion.

The locker rooms are, perhaps, the worst part of this location. I always feel like I have to hold my nose when I walk into the mens locker room - just a constant stench of body odor and stale, standing ...

• water. I don’t, by any means, expect a mens locker room at a gym to be immaculate or smell like flowers or something, but I do expect it to be maintained better than this locker room is. Additionally, much of the equipment in the locker room is dated - there are a number of broken or malfunctioning lockers. I always find that I have to push really, really hard on the locker doors to get them to close properly. Mirrors are also shoddy and in need of repair, often cracked or faded, so it’s pretty difficult for me to see myself if I’m trying to comb my hair or something similar.

The one positive aspect of this

location, in my opinion, is that they have kept the gym equipment fairly up-to-date despite the dated quality of the building. I was pleasantly surprised to see, for instance, new recumbent bikes last time I went to work out. However, the fact that they keep their equipment working well but neglect the building is confusing to me. I think it’s pretty inconsistent to have a concern for only some aspects of your business, which seems to be this 24 Hour Fitness’s ethos.

Overall, I only recommend this 24 Hour Fitness if you have a membership and, like me, this is the closest location. Otherwise, there are much nicer, and newer, locations that a 24 Hour Fitness member could frequent.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 341504668090530/k2311a0415/4.15.09