Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park  » Travel  »
U.S. Highway 50 & Colorado State Highway 347 out of Montrose, Colorado
  • But I thought the Visitor's Center was very informative about the geology of the Black Canyon, as well as the usual wildlife information
  • Free or not, it was definitely worth the drive and our time to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison
  • In my opinion, it is a must see for any traveler to southwestern Colorado

• by coloradochik

What a majestic surprise awaited me when I recently decided to go to the Black Canyon National Park!

Although a native of Colorado, I had never seen the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Recently, upon hearing that entrance is free in the winter, my boyfriend and I headed up with a packed lunch to see what the

place is all about.

Driving up from Montrose, it seemed a little ho-hum and I wasn’t really expected much, although the fact that it is a National Park made me think we’d better check it out.

What a surprisingly dramatic canyon compared to the rolling hills we went through as we approached the park. This canyon struck me as the most narrow, sheer gouge in the landscape I have ever seen. Very dramatic.

I am not usually a Visitor Center person, per se. But I thought the Visitor’s Center was very informative about the geology of the Black Canyon, as well as the usual wildlife information. The location of the Visitor’s Center ...

• Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
      really allows to enjoy the drama of the Black Canyon even if you are not a hiker.

I was pleased to see some good camping areas for us to visit another time.

I guess my favorite part of the day was sitting eating our lunch on the edge of that sheer, magnificant black canyon, no one else around, listening

to the roar of the Gunnison River half a mile below us and trying to imagine the forces that have created this one-of-a-kind place.

Free or not, it was definitely worth the drive and our time to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. In my opinion, it is a must see for any traveler to southwestern Colorado.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381504668020530/k2311a0415/4.15.09