The Manila Ocean Park
Quirino Grandstand, Manila Philippines
  • It was the start of dark trek and from here no flash photography is allowed to avoid scaring the marine animals
  • I enjoyed seeing those varieties first time in my life
  • I got a bit disappointed though that the tunnel has not been that long
  • I wished it was longer so my experience of fake under the water life would have been longer

• by ladyli

The Manila Ocean Park is a complex of oceanarium, open water marine habitat, boutique mall, restaurant row and function facilities located at the back of the famous Quirino Grandstand, in Luneta, Manila. We went there during the first week of January 2009 and I was really amazed of how popular this place has become. I saw so many people from all walks of life, children, teenagers, and adults, oldies in wheelchair, infants and kids in strollers. All the people were seemed to be enjoying and I myself was entertained with the vibrancy of the place.

We arrived before the opening time which is 10:00 am so we just refreshed ourselves with the cool breeze of the while walking around the Luneta Park. At exactly 10:00 the Ocenarium opens. We were three adults and paid around $10 each. There was a very long queue and I was thankful we arrived earlier so we were among the firsts. The inspection of all bags and parcels of before entry retarded the flow of the long

queue.

From the fantastic main entrance we started the first stage of the trail with the beautiful landscaping of “Agos (Flow) “. We did not waste time and took several pictures for souvenirs. From “Agos” we proceeded to “Bahura (The Reef). It was the start of dark trek and from here no flash photography is allowed to avoid scaring the marine animals. We saw beautiful corals in 48 tanks in exhibit but they we learned those are only artificial. From there we go to “Laot” or (Fishing Ground) which is also dark and from where we see saw varieties of big fish in large aquarium. The fish are so colorful. I enjoyed seeing those varieties first time in my life. I have not seen those kinds of fish in my entire life. Then the excitement went to its height as we walked through the next trek, which was actually the main attraction. It was the “Buhay na Karagatan (Living Ocean) which was a walkway ...

• tunnel with curved acrylic walls similar to that of the Ocean Park in Hong Kong.

It was a feeling of being under the sea where interacting with the fantastic aqua-marine resources and life. I got a bit disappointed though that the tunnel has not been that long. I wished it was longer so my experience of fake under the water life would have been longer. Then we came to “Ang Kalaliman (The Deep “. This is no so dark place anymore. This is where I saw different sorts of marine animals I could not even name but they were really a great view. I saw the section nearby where books and screen monitor that features information about the marine life could be read and seen. Then the Overhang Tank where we got to see variety of rays while under this unique Overhang Tank and then the showcase of several species of shark. From there, we exited to climb to the second level to see the Iver Hand Tank

that housed the “Pagi”. It was a different exciting experience although I feel it was still short of my expectation of a real grandiose interaction and sight of the sea life and creatures. Nevertheless, it was almost great and highly recommended for families who want to enjoy a day together.

There were souvenir shops around where various affordable items featuring Marine Life are sold such as T-shirts, bags, accessories, etc.

There are wheelchairs and strollers for rent at the entrance to those who did not bring their own.

First Aid Stations are available at the front desk and second floor activity center.

It was almost more than two hours of stay that we did then we proceed to the Sea Side where bought fresh fish and have them cooked for us. It was an affordable way to eat lunch than doing at the expensive restaurant in the Oceanarium.

The place is in continued construction and promised to build more additions to add excitement to the place. I think we are going back by December.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 591304666751030/k2311a0413/4.13.09