Fairmont Hotel Edmonton
10065 100 St NW, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
  • The elegant and charming building is full of glamour and is decorated in Victorian style throughout, and the lobby, dining areas, lounges, guestrooms and spa area are a joy to see and experience
  • The Hotel Mac, as it is affectionately known to the locals, may well be my favourite of all the Fairmont hotels

• by Jessie Bahrey

I had seen the elegant French-style castle situated high on a bank overlooking the North Saskatchewan River Valley on a few occasions while traveling to Edmonton, Alberta for business; I had asked a local colleague about the beautiful hotel and she told me that the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, named after Canada’s first Prime Minister and built in 1915, was the most luxurious hotel in the city.

So when I had the opportunity to be in the city for a week last year, I was more than happy to stay at this classic landmark.

The elegant and charming building is full of glamour and is decorated in Victorian style throughout, and the lobby, dining areas, lounges, guestrooms and spa area are a joy to see and experience. My room was beautiful and fresh, with beautiful furniture and it had a breathtaking view of the river valley, and the gardens made for a relaxing stroll in the evening. The patio as well was a gorgeous place to have drinks after dinner, and with its location in the downtown core, I was able to walk everywhere. One extra special feature was after a run in the river valley, and the hundreds of ...

• Fairmont Hotel Edmonton
      stairs to climb back to the hotel, I was greeted at the main entrance with bottled water and a towel-true luxury!

I had the opportunity to have drinks in the lounge, where the service was impeccable and the choices were high-end. My husband was overjoyed to find a wonderful selection of single-malt scotches, and the martinis were great. I also ate in the Harvest Room, overlooking the

river. They specialized in the famous Alberta beef, and although a bit pricey as one can expect at a Fairmont dining facility, the meals were deliciously prepared. The wine list was also extensive.

The Hotel Mac, as it is affectionately known to the locals, may well be my favourite of all the Fairmont hotels; it is priced accordingly, with rooms starting around $180, but it is a price worth paying.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 21004665720130/k2311a0410/4.10.09