Bullmastiff (dog)  » Pets  »
  • A dog like this could do a lot of damage to a person if it ever wanted to and if it didn't have a responsible owner

• by Bookwyrm

One of my neighbors has an adult Bullmastiff and this is a huge dog. His shoulders reach the middle of my thighs and he has a very large, solid head. I was actually scared of him when I first saw him, as he was so big. He easily weighs over a hundred pounds. He would run at the fence when he saw me, jumping up onto it with his front paws, barking. The entire chain link fence rattled loudly. And yes, his head reached the top of the fence easily when

he stood on his rear legs. I have gotten to know him now and he really is a sweet dog, but I also know that this is one dog breed that needs a very responsible owner.

A dog like this could do a lot of damage to a person if it ever wanted to and if it didn’t have a responsible owner. A bullmastiff needs to go to obedience school. It needs to learn commands and how to obey them. It also needs to be socialized with both people and other dogs ...

• so it knows how to behave properly. If you do not have the time and money to send your dog to obedience school, then you should not get a bullmastiff. An untrained dog of this species could be very dangerous due to its size and history (my neighbor told me that historically they were used as guard dogs so they have a history of going after people). My neighbor told me they are also very expensive to buy. I would think they eat a lot, too.

This dog also needs a

secure fenced-in yard. A dog needs to go outside and it’s not right to keep it chained up all the time. A fence gives it freedom to move around the yard without allowing it to escape. Your neighbors would appreciate it, too.

The dog my neighbor has is a brownish-gold color and has a dark face. The dark coloring is on his muzzle, around the eyes and on his ears. He has brown eyes. He also has loose skin on his jaws that hang downward a bit, as a bullmastiff is related to a bulldog.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 29604664030530/k2311a046/4.6.09