Mark Martin
  • Mark Martin is a good race driver, and he does race fairer than most, but he just drives me nuts with the retirement issue

• by Orrymain

When I first became re-hooked on NASCAR a few years ago, one of the veteran drivers I quickly became aware of was Mark Martin. He was the veteran driver for Roush Racing, and everything I heard was enormously positive. He was a good racer, they said. He’d race a guy clean, they said. He deserved to win a championship, they said.

The funny thing was, when I listened to Mark Martin talk, what I heard was a lot of whining. Yes, he seemed grateful to people and he sounded nice, but he sure did whine a lot. I’m not sure why I’m the only one who heard his comments that way, but I did; and then there was the fact that he just never seemed satisfied with anything.

Then Mark Martin announced his retirement. He made a huge deal out of it. 2005 would be his final season.

He had a year-long farewell tour with all kinds of special events for fans to get a last look. Speed Channel gave him and Rusty Wallace, who was also retiring at the end of the year, rocking chairs. It was partially a joke, but they were nice chairs.

Mark Martin said he was going to run the truck races for Roush. He was looking forward to it, so he said.

Then Jack Roush asked Martin to come back for one more season, as a favor, and then do the trucks. Ultimately, Martin did come back, racing a full year. The truck deal never did come about, and when the year was done, Martin ended up with a part time deal for Ginn Racing which wanted his help to hone and shape their upcoming driver, Regan Smith. During the year, Ginn merged with Dale Earnhardt Inc. Smith, whom Martin had praised ...

• and who had responded well, was suddenly out and another newbie, Aric Almirola, was now the protege.

Mark Martin said he was going to retire again, only this time it was Jeff Gordon who persuaded the driver to continue racing, driving the 5 car for Hendrick Motor Sports.

I don’t doubt that Mark Martin is a nice guy. If Jeff Gordon likes him, that says a lot. However, I just don’t see the charm like others do. He is someone who appreciates his team and crew, but I just have a hard time with the flip-flopping. Race or retire, but make up your mind already. I feel so sorry for his wife, who can’t plan a thing, if this is how Mark Martin normally is.

Also, I just didn’t like the change of allegiance when Ginn merged with DEI. I liked Regan Smith, but I didn’t hear Mark Martin defend him or

anything. He just went with the program, shutting out Smith and taking Almirola under his wing. That rubbed me the wrong way.

I was even irked about the rocking chair, though apparently he’s donated that to some good cause; and what about his claims that he wanted to watch his son race? Clearly, he can’t do that when he’s running a full time schedule for NASCAR.

Mark Martin is a good race driver, and he does race fairer than most, but he just drives me nuts with the retirement issue. I respect his loyalty to Jack Roush, and yet I have to wonder why things ended so oddly for them in the end, with no truck contract set. There were some strange words coming from them back then.

Regardless, I give Mark Martin his due for his many years on the circuit, but I still reserve my right to not be on the band wagon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 52504659790730/k2311a045/4.5.09