CSI  » TV  »
  • Ray has the best line about what being a CSI means
  • In truth, I don't think I have one, but this was the first episode of 2009 that I've been truly drawn into, where I've wanted to stop what I was doing and really watch it

• by Orrymain

CSI without the Gil Grissom character just isn’t CSI, but the show is still plugging along. It’s not that it’s bad, it just lacks the zip and zest that Grissom injected into the action. Still, the March 5, 2009 episode called “Turn, Turn, Turn” was intriguing and powerful.

The show focused mostly on birthday boy, Nick Stokes (George Eads). Just after his co-workers gift him a luscious chocolate cake, he takes the call that comes in about a murder at a seedy motel. When he arrives and sees the young girl, a teenager who had been stabbed in the parking lot, Nick says, “I knew her.”

Suddenly, we’re back in time, 365 days to be precise, when Nick was first called to the hotel for another crime. This is when he meets

the girl, whose name was Haley and who was portrayed by country singer, Taylor Swift. Swift was great, in my opinion. She could have a future in acting, if she chose to study and work on it.

Nick also meets a down-on-his-luck man, who first asked him for money. It’s a strange conversation, but Nick ends up giving him a buck to get something out of the vending machine.

What we’ve learned is that Haley and her parents are new to the area, and her father is going to be managing the motel. Haley is the curious type and very friendly. She makes friends with another gal her age quickly.

We see our friend from the vending machine again. He’s sober now, something Nick responds to favorably.

We then flash back to another ...

• point in time. I’ve forgotten the number of days, but it was something like 254. Again, another event has happened to get the attention of CSI. The new friend of Haley’s is the object of the action here. The girls are no longer friends. Haley’s changed dramatically.

The next leap in time goes to something like 117 days. This time, Nick responds to the call about a woman who has apparently committed suicide by overdosing on meth.

Our vending machine friend shows up again, having made more improvements on his life. He’s looking healthier and cleaner.

Then we’re back to Haley’s death, and Nick wonders just what went so wrong over the year. We see our friend, who no longer lives at the motel and is truly gaining success in

his life. He tells Nick about something he’d seen before, and it turns everything upside down.

In the end, Nick has an emotional scene with Ray (Laurence Fishburne) where they talk about what’s gone on. Ray has the best line about what being a CSI means. It’s a good moment and perhaps a bonding one. It shouldn’t go unmentioned that there was a part of the first ‘flashback’ where Nick gets a voicemail from Grissom, wishing him a happy birthday.

This may have been my favorite CSI since Grissom’s departure. Nick isn’t really my favorite character. In truth, I don’t think I have one, but this was the first episode of 2009 that I’ve been truly drawn into, where I’ve wanted to stop what I was doing and really watch it.

That has to say something.

CSI

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 10504659770730/k2311a045/4.5.09