Uncommon Valor movie
  • I also knew that in this movie, whatever it was called, there was a young Marine that I thought was hot

• by Orrymain

In the early 80’s, I remember watching this movie about Marines going on some kind of special meeting. This was one of those movies that used to air a lot on late night television, long before cable came about for most of us. I loved the movie that tugged on my heart strings, but it stopped airing and I somewhat forgot about it, except that it was buried in the back of my mind.

I also knew that in this movie, whatever it was called, there was a young Marine that I thought was hot. I mean, I loved this character. He was ‘my’ Marine, whoever he was.

Fast forward more than a decade, and I suddenly find myself a fan of Patrick Swayze. I’m checking out his credits and see this movie listing — Uncommon Valor. I acquired a copy and the moment it started ...

• playing, I was jumping up and down. This was that war movie I’d watched repeatedly years and ago. Then it dawned me. Oh my gosh, Patrick Swayze was ‘my’ Marine! Whoa!

I do love Uncommon Valor. Gene Hackman stars, with a notable appearance by Robert Stack. The rest of the guys are not so well known — Fred Ward, Reb Brown, and wrestler Randall ‘Tex’ Cobb, who Swayze says nearly killed

him while doing a fight scene. Apparently, Cobb can wrestle, but he wasn’t very good at stunt fighting.

This movie is a rescue movie, the old war troop getting back together to try and find Hackman’s and Stack’s sons. There are some surprises along the way, too.

I still love the movie, and Swayze’s character is still ‘my’ Marine. Uncommon Valor is on cable frequently these days and is well worth taking the time to view.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11504659590730/k2311a045/4.5.09