Settlers of Catan game
  • I received the board game Settlers of Catan several months ago, and only started playing it in February - and I have to say it's one of the best, most interesting games I have ever played
  • The game is very economically based, and takes a fair bit of thinking, so I wouldn't recommend the game for anyone under 12 years of age - not so much that they'd be incapable of playing, more so that they would likely not have the patience for it

• by Adam Sutler

I received the board game Settlers of Catan several months ago, and only started playing it in February - and I have to say it’s one of the best, most interesting games I have ever played.

The game has German origins, though it is popular world wide (and there is even a global tournament)! The game is very economically based, and takes a fair bit of thinking, so I wouldn’t recommend the game for

anyone under 12 years of age - not so much that they’d be incapable of playing, more so that they would likely not have the patience for it.

The game involves taking control of various resources, which include brick, wood, sheep and ore, which you use to buy things such as roads, towns and cities - all of which allow further progression in the game.

You gain resources first by placing a town next ...

• to a resource hex - you don’t automatically get the resources every turn, however. They are only given when a player rolls the number that is on the hex(es) you are adjacent to. E.g. I have a town next to a brick 5, and my opponent (or myself) rolls a 2 and a 3 - I would then get one brick if I had a town, or two if I had a city.

The

game has a fair bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it’s really easy, and very entertaining - I’ve used whole nights playing it (each game takes about an hour and a half - more if there are four instead of three players).

The game is very fun, and is a great ‘time user’ - and a good way to bond with family/friends - I highly recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 28204656371230/k2311a042/4.2.09