Reef of Death by Paul Zindel  » Books  »
  • I enjoy reading the fast-paced young adult adventure stories by Paul Zindel and this one was no exception
  • I think that alone says it's an excellent sea tale set in the Great Barrier Reef off the coast of Australia
  • I like how PC helps the Aboriginals with no thought of reward for himself
  • I also enjoyed that the real villain in this tale was greedy humans and not the giant fish

• by Bookwyrm

I enjoy reading the fast-paced young adult adventure stories by Paul Zindel and this one was no exception. I flipped through the chapters quickly, totally engrossed in the story. I’m a fast reader, so I went from cover to cover within a few hours. I think that alone says it’s an excellent sea tale set in the Great Barrier Reef off the coast of Australia. The plot has action, scary moments and mysterious secrets.

The image on the front cover pretty much says it all: a giant fish with

long sword-like teeth coming up from below a scuba diver, the fish’s mouth yawning wide as a cave. While the cover may at first make you think this is a story similar to “Jaws”, there is also a human villain in the plot. Seventeen-year-old PC flies to Australia to help his Uncle Cliff save an Aboriginal village by finding their ancient lost treasure. Mainly they help a young girl from the village, Maruul, find the underwater treasure. Maruul’s brother was killed while searching for it and poor Maruul witnessed his death. The death is a bit bloody, so be warned.

I liked the Aboriginal angle in this book. It’s not often you read about them or their culture in a young adult novel. I especially liked Wally, an old Aboriginal man who helps PC and Maruul. He’s wise and incredibly spry for his age. He can also hold his breath for a very long time.

I like how PC helps the Aboriginals with no thought of reward for himself. A lot of people wouldn’t help others free, but he ...

• Reef of Death by Paul Zindel
      does just because he is a nice, generous person with a good heart. Nor does he ever think of taking part of the treasure for himself (as many would under these circumstances). I think PC is a great role model for the teens and preteens who read this book.

I also liked how PC helped save the Aboriginals’ natural heritage; a big carved underwater cliff face. Ancient sites like this should be protected and saved for future generations and that’s exactly what PC did. Too many greedy people would

love to slice the ancient art up and sell it for money. Reading this story could teach kids how ancient sites should be respected and saved.

There was also a clever riddle in this book that was part of the plot. I liked how it was written and how it was slowly solved throughout the story. I also enjoyed that the real villain in this tale was greedy humans and not the giant fish. The ending was also very satisfying, as the villain got what was coming to her.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17204656161230/k2311a042/4.2.09