Ruby Gloom’s Keys to Happiness by Clam Lynch  » Books  »
  • My library had it shelved with the young adult books, but I think it may be a children's book as well
  • I like the little lessons it teaches on each page, as everyone should apply them to their lives
  • Misery loves company but, to be honest, I avoid her as much as possible
  • I've never read a Ruby Gloom book before so I thought this was very nice and helpful to new readers

• by Bookwyrm

This is a cute little book. My library had it shelved with the young adult books, but I think it may be a children’s book as well. It has forty pages of cute drawings and wisdom. This would be a great book to read to a child or that a child could read to himself.

I like the little lessons it teaches on each page, as everyone should apply them to their lives. For example, one lesson says: “Misery loves company but, to be honest, I avoid her as much as possible”. This translates to the fact that if you’re

depressed and always complaining about things that people will want to avoid you. It also teaches that to make friends you should try smiling and look more cheerful. Of course, you need to read between the lines a bit to understand what it means. I guess that’s why it’s shelved with the young adult books even though it looks like a picture book in design. The book contains eighteen of these little lessons. Explaining these lessons could make for an excellent family time. I also think sometimes adults need to be reminded of these lessons; too, as they probably forget them due ...

• to busy lives.

I also love the cute drawings the book contains. They are very colorful and warm-hearted. Ruby Gloom is a young girl who dresses in black and enjoys the darker side of things: black cats, bats, ghosts, crows, two-headed dolls and moonlit nights. While containing dark subject matter, the drawings are not scary in any manner. Many of them are even humorous. They even remind me of some of the simple joys of childhood, like making shadows on the wall and riding bikes.

My favorite character in this book is Doom, Ruby’s black cat. I like cats, of course, as I

own two. Doom looks very stylish with a fancy red collar and big owl-like eyes. I also like how pictures of all of the main characters along with their names are on the book’s end pages. I’ve never read a Ruby Gloom book before so I thought this was very nice and helpful to new readers.

I also liked how the covers of this book are covered in black velvet. It actually reminds me of a fuzzy bat Halloween card I received as a kid long ago. I remember the card had said it was real bat fur! How I loved that furry card!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17204656131230/k2311a042/4.2.09