Kolocep Island in Croatia  » Travel  »
Koločep, Dubrovnik, Croatia
  • But I found Hotel Kolocep an excellent and very clean place
  • The hotel also provided a lot of free or low cost activities especially water sports

• by Rebekah Joy

I spent four days on Kolocep, an island 30 minutes away by ferry from Dubrovnik in Croatia. I would like the chance to rave about this lush tropical palmed paradise. Groves of orange and olive trees and the crystal clear waters of the Adriatic are all part of the charm of this beautiful island.

As I discovered it last minute, I could only find one place to stay there. At first this was a bit

disappointing, but I soon learned that it is run by a group who put all the money back into the island.

Usually if a place has only one hotel it is substandard. But I found Hotel Kolocep an excellent and very clean place.

They had a buffet which I usually don’t like, but the food was actually pretty good and there was a big array of local dishes and of course pizza. The hotel ...

• also provided a lot of free or low cost activities especially water sports.

I went sailing for a day and the scenery was just spectacular. Another day I took a water taxi and went to the neighboring islands of Lopud, and Sipan where I could go swimming in secluded coves, and I visited some caves.

I was also lucky enough to be there in the summer months when the hotel organized free weekly concerts.

This was a fantastic way to relax and learn about local culture.

There are two picturesque villages on Kolocep, Donje Celo & Gornje Celo. We hiked the marked walking trails and discovered Napoleon’s fort and a collection of 9th and 10th century churches.

I feel in four days I pretty much discovered all I could in the island, but next time I would go back for a week just to soak up the ambiance and relax.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38204656101230/k2311a042/4.2.09