The Other Boleyn Girl movie  » Movies  »
  • I have not read the novel by Philippa Gregory, but I really enjoyed this movie, in spite of reading so much criticism
  • I usually avoid watching epic film but there was something engrossing about The Other Boleyn Girl , that left me seated till the end

• by appchem

I have not read the novel by Philippa Gregory, but I really enjoyed this movie, in spite of reading so much criticism. It was beyond my expectation. I usually avoid watching epic film but there was something engrossing about “The Other Boleyn Girl”, that left me

seated till the end.

This movie is a sensual tale of intrigue, romance, jealousy, betrayal, ambition & death which is set against the backdrop of the lives of 16th-century aristocrats. It is basically about two sisters, who turned into deadly rivals only to win the affection of the King of England, Henry, played by Bana. According to me someonelse could have acted much better than Bana, who looked too masculine to be a King.

The performance of both the actresses, Natalie Portman & Scarlett Johansson was awesome. You cannot decide that which one ...

• The Other Boleyn Girl movie
      of them was better. Each is given a time to shine. I would say that Scarlett dominates the first half, but then Portman takes over in the second; where her ambitious nature leads the boleyn family to destruction.

This film is also a brutal exposure

of how young girls were used as currency in the political intrigues of the time & how the Kings used women just to get a heir to the throne. The ending was also heart breaking when Anne (Portman)was indeed beheaded on charges of adultery, incest, and treason, with his brother.

The Other Boleyn Girl movie
Stiglic says :

re : I usually avoid watching epic film but there was something engrossing about The Other Boleyn Girl , that left me seated till the end
Indeed, I’ve never read this book. If a criticism we’re talking about concerns a rape scene in the movie, I agree it’s not a nice scene yet,it was very crucial in portraying Henrik the 8th’s and Anne’s relationship in the movie. As for historical evidences, I think this didn’t happen. Henrik actually really loved Anne. The movie showed everything different still, it’s a movie by a history fiction book and we should accept it as the way it is.

Paulina says :

I saw this movie twice and I really enjoyed it. However, I think Banna’s performance whas somewhat poor compared with Portman and Johansson’s. Also, I think he doesn’t look like Henry the VIII at all. Everyone knows he wasn’t known for being attractive ir manly. So, at the end I think the movie is worth watching because of the actresses and the great settings

amyfrust lm says :

is worth watching because of the actresses and a little history learned.

Katherine says :

I have watched this move like 5 times, they always put it on tv here. First time I cried and I hated Anne for calculating everything and being so cold, and just being an egoist woman with her sister. I love these type of movies, this one in special because it is realistic and it’s based on a true story, and in the end Anne had to pay for her sins. Eric Bana is really handsome and the king was not particularly a handsome king, and he was not fit either, plus he was not very manly, so that part was strange. The actings for me were amazing and the movie was a bit raw because those times were cruel and though for a woman. You needed to find a husband fast or just be used by the ruler of the moment, so I liked to see strong performances by women even if they only showed the traditions of the time. I think is a good movie, not a masterpiece but it’s good for a quick history lesson.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11104655580730/k2311a041/4.1.09