Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Lens  » Cameras  »
  • Because they seem to be sharp as a tack, and you could actually add a teleconverter to most of them and the picture will still look amazing
  • I would tell you to go look at some of the prime lenses save the money and get one and you won't regret it

• by David Boston

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is another great lens from canon. Once again though this is an expensive lens and most people may not use it to its fullest potential although I could be wrong when it comes to that as well.

Well this lens is a 400mm at full zoom it does leave a little be desired but in way that is kind of expected if this wasn’t true then the prime lenses wouldn’t sell and canon would lose money this way. Now what kind of company is going to want to lose money? I see it this way, people buy this lens and then want more so then they upgraded which gives them even more money. Just my theory that’s all.

This lens is

very sharp between 100-300mm at least what I was able to see through lens anyway it seemed to be very sharp. I take a lot of pictures so I do get really picky with all sorts of things in my pictures and this does the job up to 300mm. It also has image stabilization which is nice if you are trying to hand shoot things. Granted a lot of the time I am using a monopod or tripod so it’s not always useful to me. But when I just pull it out and shoot it’s a great deal of help. One thing that caught my attention is that the autofocus is quite fast to other lens that I compared this one and that was great deal of ...

• help out in the wilderness. I was able to catch moving objects pretty easily compared to some cheaper zoom lenses and that was the main selling point for me compared to others.

It may take a bit getting used to zooming because it’s a push pull and some people just don’t like that. I however find it quite easy. Just my opinion.

Now if you plan on only shooting at almost full zoom then you may want to look elsewhere because like I said already it lacks a bit at the further distances. Maybe one of the fixed focal length lenses from cannon would do the trick. Because they seem to be sharp as a tack, and you could actually add a teleconverter to most of

them and the picture will still look amazing.

There are other lens that could possible compared and you really need to focus on what your needs are, and since I rarely needed to go over 300mm then this was the perfect lens for me. But if you have the money to drop and are going to need the full zoom. I would tell you to go look at some of the prime lenses save the money and get one and you won’t regret it. Because they seem to be a lot better then just the normal lens. And lenses last quite a long time. The glass does make more difference then the body of the camera and you’ll hear that from plenty of people if you don’t believe me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 433103654791031/k2311a0331/3.31.09