Weird Wisconsin by Linda S Godfrey and Richard D Hendricks  » Books  »
  • Some stories I found more interesting than others, of course
  • I find this really hard to believe, but since I love movies and books about strange creatures, I find it fascinating
  • I really enjoyed reading this one, as it was light-hearted and just plain fun

• by Bookwyrm

Wisconsin is the home to some really weird stuff, ranging from the world’s largest six-pack of beer to a special museum dedicated to squirrels and chipmunks. When I first saw this 267-page book on the shelf of my library, I grew quite excited. I had wanted to read it for some time now, but it always seemed to be checked out. Reading about odd and strange stuff can be entertaining and I wanted to find out what sorts of weird stuff lurked in my own state. To my delight, there are some very good stories inside this book and it made for compelling reading.

This book included local legends, ancient mysteries, roadside oddities, unexplained stuff, strange creatures that go bump in the night, ghosts, cemeteries and a lot more. Some stories I found more interesting than others, of course. This book mainly is a bunch of separate stories or articles, each on a different odd

thing. I also loved all the photos in this book, as photos really bring the story to life. Some of the photos that caught my eye include a giant rock that sits partly inside a house (visible through the broken outer brick wall), a skeleton riding a bicycle inside a clothing shop, the Shrine to Anglers which is a giant walk-through muskie and Jurustic Park where giant reptiles made of rusty orange metal play in a field of green.

One of my favorite stories was about the mysterious Beast of Bray Road. This is Wisconsin’s very own werewolf. It’s hard to believe such a creature really exists but it sure does make for interesting reading. According to legend, people have been seeing this creature or creatures since 1936. It’s supposed to be hanging around Walworth and Jefferson counties. Hmmm I wonder how far away that is from here? Hopefully a good distance!

In the same category ...

• of strange Wisconsin beasts is the story of a giant thunderbird that several different people claimed they saw in the 1990s. And could it be coincidence that Native American legends also speak of giant birds in Wisconsin? Could such a creature really exist and yet not be known by modern scientists? Is that even possible? Maybe deep down in the sea it is, but on land? I find this really hard to believe, but since I love movies and books about strange creatures, I find it fascinating.

And this was a cute humorous story: the Cornucopia Yacht Club. This was a yacht club for people who didn’t actually own a boat and wanted to say they belonged to a yacht club! There was a $5 yearly fee and each summer there would be a picnic in the town of Cornucopia. It had members from all over the world, including President Gerald Ford. I really enjoyed

reading this one, as it was light-hearted and just plain fun.

And what about Rock Lake in Aztalan State Park? They say there are strange pyramid-like rock piles on the bottom of the lake. The murky water makes seeing these rock piles almost impossible. Now this is a mysterious story for sure. I wonder what these rock piles are? Hmm it makes me think of those towering rock structures you see out west, like in Arizona or Colorado that were carved by water. Could these piles be similar except they’re underwater?

There are hundreds of more fascinating well-written stories just like these in the book. I enjoyed flipping through the pages and reading the stories because they were so unusual, not the usual boring stuff you see in the regular newspaper. These stories capture the imagination and make you ponder if there really are a few odd things out there and if so, what they really are.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 173103653850531/k2311a0331/3.31.09