Singapore Flyer  » Entertainment  »
30 Raffles Avenue, Singapore
  • When I visited Singapore last year, I immediately told my friend who was my host that I wanted to experience riding the flyer
  • I have not ridden a Ferris wheel before and I believe this is a safer alternative for me
  • It was also amazing to know that capsule itself also rotates to orient you to the earth and it was unnoticeable
  • I will definitely recommend this experience for anyone who visits Singapore

• by sikat

The Singapore Flyer looks like a very large Ferris wheel. It is said to be the largest observation wheel in the world. When I visited Singapore last year, I immediately told my friend who was my host that I wanted to experience riding the flyer. I have not ridden a Ferris wheel before and I believe this is a safer alternative for me.

The flyer is located near the Marina Bay. Riding it will give you a 360 degree view on the surrounding area. The area below the flyer is the ticket center. You can choose your scheduled ride. While waiting for the ride, there are different shops you can look around. I saw a massage center where there you dip your feet in an aquarium of small fishes. The fishes will eat the dead cells from

your feet. There is also a jewelry center and a restaurant. Below the flyer is man-made garden. My friend and I hung out there while waiting for our turn. It was a nice area for picture- taking. There was a volcano-like structure which looked like it was emitting red lava. There is also a pond with fishes and a small bridge you can cross.

When it was already our turn, we queued up the second floor where the boarding area is located. Ushers are there to guide us when boarding. They are there also to watch our steps for safety reasons. In one side of the boarding bridge, there were no railings. Only a net and the ushers are there to remind you of such. I remember them telling us that the flyer does not stop. It ...

• is continually spinning albeit very slowly. Attached to the very large wheel are observation capsules that can accommodate as many as 28 people. One must be quick in getting into the capsule. You do not want to ride in a different capsule from your companions, do you? One trip lasts for 30 minutes so one must complete personal necessities before boarding because there is no turning back for 30 minutes.

Thankfully, my friends and I all got in the same capsule. It is roomy inside. It is air-conditioned. There were two bench-type seats opposite each other so that one can view different sides. Not everyone can have a seat. For us, we took three seats and took turns if we got tired of standing. You get a clearer view when you stand. Inside the capsule, there

are available maps that you can use to identify the landmarks that you see. We rode the flyer during the National Day Parade so we got a short view of the festivities down below. It was also a month before the F1 race in Singapore so we were treated to the aerial view of the racetrack that was built for the event.

Riding was a pleasant experience for me. I hardly felt the wheel moving. It was a smooth ride. You can understand why while boarding they tell you the flyer does not stop. Imagine how annoying it was if it stops ever so often! It was also amazing to know that capsule itself also rotates to orient you to the earth and it was unnoticeable. I will definitely recommend this experience for anyone who visits Singapore.

Singapore Flyer

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 593003652760631/k2311a0330/3.30.09