Samsung DVD-VR375 1080p Up-Converting VHS Combo DVD Recorder  » Electronics  »
0.5
  • I highly suggest that you avoid this DVD/VHS recorder unless you are in search of something that will provide you with a number of headaches and a reason to use several rather unmentionable words
  • Apparently, a familiar brand name means very little these days as I thought purchasing a Samsung product would be a smart and safe thing to do
  • The laundry list of problems and things that are very wrong with this recorder are long and lengthy, unfortunately
  • First off, when I transferred my first VHS tape to a DVD and then played the DVD to see how the transfer went, I noticed that the audio was off by a few seconds
  • If I could rate this recorder a zero, I most definitely would, so even though the rating reads a one, my real rating for this recorder is a zero

• by NextGenFan

I highly suggest that you avoid this DVD/VHS recorder unless you are in search of something that will provide you with a number of headaches and a reason to use several rather unmentionable words. Apparently, a familiar brand name means very little these days as I thought purchasing a Samsung product would be a smart and safe thing to do. Turns out it was not.

The laundry list of problems and things that are very wrong with this recorder are long and lengthy, unfortunately. First off, when I transferred my first VHS tape to a DVD and then played the DVD to see how the transfer went, I noticed that the audio was off by a few seconds.

Now a few seconds might not seem like a whole lot, but it really is noticeable and there is no reason that the audio should not be perfectly in sync with the video. I consulted the instruction booklet to

see if there was perhaps a setting on the recorder that perhaps was in need of adjustment, yet the instruction booklet is incredibly poor in terms of information that is included and how that information is written and it really seems incomplete in a number of sections.

Put simply, it is poorly written and it is confusing. Calling tech support proved to be just as much of a waste of time because all they could suggest is that I must have received a defective recorder and that I should return it.

That is precisely what I did, and after using more gas and more time, I returned home, set up the new recorder, attempted a transfer, watched the new DVD and there once again was the out of sync audio. I was really quite fed up.

I also was infuriated to later find that I could not record on a VHS tape certain stations that I had ...

• paid for. For example, I could not record off of any pay channel like HBO or Starz or Encore or any station that is a pay station even though I am paying every month for those stations! Why can I not record a movie off of a pay station and save it for my own personal use? How incredibly and positively stupid! This garbage DVD/VHS combo not only fails at transferring VHS material to DVDs big time, but it also majorly fails at something as simple as recording on a VHS tape! Another problem that I experienced with this recorder is that when I would pay a VHS or DVD, the picture would occasionally become “floppy”.

Like it would shake and get dark around the edges. I tried tightening some cables in the back of the recorder, but the problem was not solved.

With all the problems that I had with this recorder, I returned the second

one and just decided not to purchase another recorder for awhile. I did not want the frustration or the aggravation as this particular recorder really irritated me with all its annoying problems and restrictions that should never have been there.

A product like this should have never been allowed to be sold on the market as it is clearly defective or very poorly designed. Take it from me and save yourself the headaches, the time and the gas and do not bother with this VHS/DVD recorder.

There must be far better and more affordable recorders available for sale and there is no reason that someone should have to suffer with the poor quality of the transfers that this recorder offers as well as the other restrictions and problems that come with this recorder. If I could rate this recorder a zero, I most definitely would, so even though the rating reads a one, my real rating for this recorder is a zero.

Sara says :

I have had this DVD recorder and last year was able to take some of my family recordings on VHS and transfer them to DVD. THis summer I wanted to compete the job, but cannot get it to work. I have followed the manual as best as I can. Under dubbing from VCR to DVD, I press menu, select dubbing, but when I am this far, I am not given the option for simple dubbing…and both options given are not highlighted…in other words I cannot choose either one. I cannot use the simple dubbing button on the front of the machine either. The DVDs that I am using are unused DVD-R…just like the last time I actually could do this. What am I not doing or doing that is not correct?

Galega says :

The problem is starting up with dubbing step. One of the options should have gotten highlighted. I would suggest you to first turn it off completely and restart it. Start over again with all steps. Hopefully, one of the dubbing options should be highlighted.

If you are still not passing through this step, then there might be some problem with DVD - R. Change the disc and see if that makes any positive difference.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 163003651600231/k2311a0330/3.30.09