Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1 TB External Hard Drive  » Computers  »
2.5
  • I found it to be real simple to set-up, install and operate, although when I first started using this external hard drive, I felt that the transfer speed was kind of slow and real large files would take seemingly forever to transfer from my laptop's hard drive to this one
  • It is not much of a problem though because I try to only use the external hard drive once and awhile and if I do need to pull some stuff off of it, I can do so before I set off with my laptop
  • I like how the hard drive is compatible with both Windows XP and Windows Vista, as I have one desktop that is running on Vista and my laptop is running on XP, so it is convenient that there is no compatibility problems or issues
  • For that reason, I am not going to recommend this external hard drive to those that are in the market for one

• by NextGenFan

I purchased this external hard drive because of the high capacity and the brand name. I figured with this much room on the hard drive, I would not need to ever purchase a second external hard drive again. I found it to be real simple to set-up, install and operate, although when I first started using this external hard drive, I felt that the transfer speed was kind of slow and real large files would take seemingly forever to transfer from my laptop’s hard drive to this one.

The transfer speed might be limited by the fact that the transfer is made via USB connection as opposed to a disk or zip transfer. I

was also somewhat surprised that this external hard drive ran on AC power as opposed to running off of power from my laptop like other external hard drives do.

This puts a leash on one of the laptop’s greatest and most attractive benefits: being able to work or use when a power plug is not nearby. It is not much of a problem though because I try to only use the external hard drive once and awhile and if I do need to pull some stuff off of it, I can do so before I set off with my laptop.

I like how the hard drive is compatible with both Windows XP and Windows Vista, as I have one desktop that is running on Vista and my laptop is running on XP, so it is convenient that there is no compatibility problems or issues. A couple of times though I have had a problem where neither my laptop nor desktop could recognize or access any files that were stored on the external hard drive.

To correct this problem, I usually just unplug and disconnect the external hard drive and restart either my laptop or desktop depending on which one I am using and that usually solves the problem. It is scary though each time it happens though, believe me! I would absolutely hate to lose some or all ...

• Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1 TB External Hard Drive
      the files that I have stored on my external hard drive even though I have copies of every file on a whole bunch of CD-RWs.

They do take up an awful lot of space, but it is safer than expecting nothing bad at all to happen to my external hard drive. I started making these back up copies after I had a friend who bought the exact same external drive as me suffer a hard drive failure on his.

Everything was lost, but thankfully he had not transferred all that much to the external drive yet. He had only had it for a couple months, too, and poof! The hard drive failed and all

was lost.

Well, that is when I started making CD-RW copies in the invent something like that happened to me. For that reason, I am not going to recommend this external hard drive to those that are in the market for one.

Even though mine has not suffered a failure, my computer and laptop cannot always recognize it for some unknown reason and that might be a warning sign of a coming problem. Plus, the transfer speed is not all that terrific and it needs a power plug to work.

There are plenty of other external hard drives to consider on the market and I recommend that people take a look at what the others have to offer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 193003651080131/k2311a0330/3.30.09