Futurama Episode 5: Fear Of A Bot Planet  » Entertainment  »
  • The title is pretty much a give away in the story and plotline that this episode follows in my opinion, but still it is probably one of the most memorable episodes from the first series
  • One of the things I think stands out in this episode, at least for me, is Bender's soft-side
  • I believe this is one of the reasons Bender is so popular as a character
  • I found it very enjoyable from start to finish and I could actually see them going somewhere with the robot planet storyline as a whole

• by Wayne Wilkins

Series Name: Futurama Episode Title: Episode 5: Fear Of A Bot Planet Original air Date: April 20 1999 My personal rating: 8/10

“Fear Of A Bot Planet” was the title of the 5th episode in the first season of Futurama. The title is pretty much a give away in the story and plotline that this episode follows in my opinion, but still it is probably one of the most memorable episodes from the first series. Basically, the story is based on Bender being unhappy that everywhere he goes, Robots are doing all of the dirty work for humans whereas he thinks it should be the other way around, he professor however points out that that is what robots were built for and that they have a delivery to take care of to a planet inhabited solely by human-hating

robots and therefore, Bender has to be the one to make the delivery. Many fans will notice that this is actually the first piece of work that Bender has ever had to carry out for the crew, although he complains just as much as a person who has been working non-stop for a year anyway. Well, I found it funny. Of course, Bender, bitter as to the fact that he is being sent by Humans to do a human job, he sympathizes with the human hating robots for robots being mistreated on Earth and ends up becoming a leader on the robot planet and carries out daily ‘human hunts’ where he comments on the new-age human diet, their likes and dislikes and how he killed ‘millions of humans’ on Earth, which of course as we know is ...

• a lie.

However, Bender’s cover is broken after he attempts to save Fry and Leela who have been imprisoned on the planet themselves. One of the things I think stands out in this episode, at least for me, is Bender’s soft-side. Bender is most known as a beer swilling hick of a Robot, yet he obviously has feelings for Fr and Leela to go out of his way to save them from certain death at the hands of the merciless robots. I feel that this episode and this scenario itself adds much more mysticism and depth to bender’s personality, and to bender’s character as a whole.

Fry and Leela then set up a party to celebrate Bender’s robot heritage to show that they do respect his past, and it turns out that Bender was lying about his robot heritage

anyway just so he could have the day off work. Fair enough, right? I think I can sympathize with Bender on that one, and I think many fans can themselves. I believe this is one of the reasons Bender is so popular as a character; he is blunt, to the point and is a down-right slob just like most of us!

I would give this episode a rating of 8 out of 10. I found it very enjoyable from start to finish and I could actually see them going somewhere with the robot planet storyline as a whole; I feel this episode could have been a recurring episode so to speak, separated into 2 or 3 parts, as the entire concept I feel was very well thought out.

A well deserved 8 out of 10 for Fear of A bot Planet!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592903650240731/k2311a0329/3.29.09