Futurama Episode 2: The Series Has Landed  » Entertainment  »
  • I like to refer to this episode as an 'extended pilot' as much like the first episode, it brings many of the future storylines to life and also gives a major extension to the personalities of each of the characters, as well as introducing a wide range of new characters to the series also such as Hermes, Amy and Doctor Zoidberg, an incompetent doctor who is labeled as weird because he wears sandals, yet to fry, he is more weird because he is a lobster-like alien, who wears sandals
  • The main character development point which I noticed was Bender, who gives us a taste of his history, his wishes and of course, as you will find out, his 'favorite' things including gambling, beer, 'adult entertainers' and everything else that is generally frowned upon by the human population
  • I think that's what makes him so hilarious
  • Bender however has major development in this one, and I personally found it amazing as to how such little things can get you to know a character throughout one small episode

• by Wayne Wilkins

Series Name: Futurama Episode Title: Episode 2: The Series Has Landed Original air Date: April 4 1999 My personal rating: 9/10

My personal review:

Episode 2: The Series Has Landed is one of my all time favorite Futurama episodes. I like to refer to this episode as an ‘extended pilot’ as much like the first episode, it brings many of the future storylines to life and also gives a major extension to the personalities of each of the characters, as well as introducing a wide range of new characters to the series also such as Hermes, Amy and Doctor Zoidberg, an incompetent doctor who is labeled as weird because he wears sandals, yet to fry, he is more weird because he is a lobster-like alien, who wears sandals.

The episode

takes place as the first space delivery of the new planet express crew, and the first delivery place is ‘nowhere special the moon.’ To Fry’s amazement, an amusement park has been landed on the moon, and it is here where the first delivery takes place and that the personalities of many characters come to pass, as well as the furthering relationship of Fry and Leela which plays a major role in the storyline of the series. I loved how they started immediately developing a romantic scene, but it more of comes from Fry’s longing for someone. I personally felt this was due to him being alone in the future, as everyone he knew or loved was now dead, being 1000 years from his original time and ...

• setting. The main character development point which I noticed was Bender, who gives us a taste of his history, his wishes and of course, as you will find out, his ‘favorite’ things including gambling, beer, ‘adult entertainers’ and everything else that is generally frowned upon by the human population; I think that’s what makes him so hilarious.

I noticed that the setting of character depth actually starts right from the beginning of the episode when the crew is preparing for their first delivery mission to space and Fry and Bender are preparing for their medicals to be cleared to space travel. Leela is seen as the serious one and is already in charge before even being told she is in charge, while Fry is seen as the clumsy “tourist

like” character. Bender however has major development in this one, and I personally found it amazing as to how such little things can get you to know a character throughout one small episode. This starts when Bender learns that Amy’s family is filthy rich and owns mars; he then puts on an act where his head is dancing, while his body proceeds to rob Amy of her wallet and her money, and when the job is done, resumes to normal.

I would give this episode a 9 out of 10, it is very detailed and very thought out and has a very entertaining story and plotline, as well as I have said, advancing the character development of several characters throughout. It will always be one of my favorite episodes to say the least.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592903650210731/k2311a0329/3.29.09