Futurama Episode 1  » Entertainment  »
  • The story follows the life of Philip J Fry who starts off the new years eve date as a boring pizza delivery guy who's girlfriend has just left him and seemingly has nothing to live for after delivering a prank call pizza to a freezing chamber
  • In my opinion the first episode was very thought out and very detailed
  • Fry, hoping to avoid his past and start fresh, is given a career chip of a delivery boy, the career he hated so badly that he was happy to leave his family and friends and his entire past behind for a fresh start, so he is then chased by Leela who is forced to try and implant fry his career chip
  • I loved how things such as that set the plotline for future episodes, I found it very unique as I had never seen anything like it before in other series, animated or not

• by Wayne Wilkins

Series Name: Futurama Episode Title: Space Pilot 3000 Original air Date: March 28 1999 My personal rating: 7/10

My personal review:

Space Pilot 3000 was the first ever Futurama episode ever broadcast on television. It set the standard for many future episodes, storylines and plotlines within the series to come. The story follows the life of Philip J Fry who starts off the new years eve date as a boring pizza delivery guy who’s girlfriend has just left him and seemingly has nothing to live for after delivering a prank call pizza to a freezing chamber. As fry’s chair is tipped into the freezer for 1000 years, a mysterious shadow is briefly shown on the ground.

I personally did not notice this shadow the first time around until it was

later bought into the series. In my opinion the first episode was very thought out and very detailed. Especially when Fry travels to the future, I felt he shows a typical human attitude to exciting potential and an exciting new world and is referred to as a “tourist” by one character. I feel this adds meaning to the new world he has been bought to, as we all like to try new things that may be new to us such as when we go abroad on holiday to a foreign country, yet these things may be all to familiar and basic to the people that inhabit this place, that is the general feeling given upon fry’s arrival to the future.

When he arrives, he is introduced to the ...

• new age “big brother” like scenario where every person in the known world must have a career chip implanted under their skin which tells them their permanent careers. Fry, hoping to avoid his past and start fresh, is given a career chip of a delivery boy, the career he hated so badly that he was happy to leave his family and friends and his entire past behind for a fresh start, so he is then chased by Leela who is forced to try and implant fry his career chip. She however soon realizes that Fry is correct and removes her own career chip. She, Fry and Bender, now fugitives of the law, make their way to Professor Farnsworth where they are given new career chips of the
        planet express crew. A notable thing to take in here is the writing on the envelope “contents of space wasps stomach” as this is yet another plotline for the series in the future.

I loved how things such as that set the plotline for future episodes, I found it very unique as I had never seen anything like it before in other series, animated or not.

Overall I would give the pilot episode a high rating of 7 out of 10. It pretty much set the standard and the ground works for future storylines within the series, and was also very entertaining through and through which is rare in my opinion. I usually find that first episodes of a series can be dull and bland, but Futurama didn’t have a dull moment through its pilot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592903650200731/k2311a0329/3.29.09