Seventh Day Adventist Religion Halifax Nova Scotia Canada  » Religion  »
1.5
Nova Scotia, Canada
  • I found attending this Church, and learning its doctrines very informative and interesting
  • I also noticed the women wore very little if any make-up, and the only jewellery any Adventist wore were wedding bands and crosses and in some cases some of the women wore engagement rings
  • I found the rules and regulations of this religion not only too confining but at times deeply disturbing
  • I believe in a forgiving god, not one who is this narrow minded, and lastly when I talked to a Catholic priest about the Sabbath being changed by the Holy Catholic Church, he laughed outloud

• by Melissa Glenn
      A couple of years ago, I attended the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada. I was confused about religion a the time, and a friend invited me to attend their church, which was the Seventh Day Adventist. Seventh Day Adventism is a relatively ‘new’ religon, meaning its been around for only about 100 years.

I found attending this Church, and learning its doctrines very informative and interesting. To begin with Adventists are extremely firm on their belief that the Sabbath is actually Saturday, and they hold their worship services on this day.

Further, they believe it was the Catholics that ‘changed’ the

Sabbath to Sunday from the traditional Saturday many hundreds of years ago. Adventists are for the most part strict vegetarians in that they eat no pork, red meat or shell fish, as these are suppose to be harmful to the body.

I did meet and talk with some members of the congregation who ate chicken, but they were few and far between. Coffee and tea are also banned, as the Adventists claim a strict avoidance of caffeine.

Interestingly enough they drink commercial hot chocolate, which is known to be full of caffeine. Women in the Adventist religion are encouraged to be demure, and wearing pants ...

• as opposed to skirts and dresses is not encouraged, although not forbidden.

I also noticed the women wore very little if any make-up, and the only jewellery any Adventist wore were wedding bands and crosses and in some cases some of the women wore engagement rings. Children of Adventist members attend a private school created and maintained by the Adventist Church.

Sandy Cove Academy instructs children through kindergarten to Grade 12. Afterwards, pupils are expected to attend Adventist Bible College in the Prairies.

Another thing I found interesting although a little disturbing, is that Adventists view dancing of all types a ’sin’. I found the

rules and regulations of this religion not only too confining but at times deeply disturbing.

Anyone who has truly read the Bible, would know that these Adventists twist scripture to 1. Call meat unclean 2.

Discourage women to wear make up and jewellery and most importantly 3. Try and convince the congregation that everyone in other religions is doomed for hell!

I believe in a forgiving god, not one who is this narrow minded, and lastly when I talked to a Catholic priest about the Sabbath being changed by the Holy Catholic Church, he laughed outloud.

Tolerance of other peoples religious beliefs is something I have always practiced, but this religion was not for me.

Benedict Ongeri says :

The views of the author about the Adventists are quite narrow and largely biased. The author needs to take just alittle time and pantience to appreciate the fundamental beliefs of the adventists than carrying the wholesome wrong view about these christians. However, people have a right to say what they decide as that also is a God given right of choice which I beilive adventists respect.

madie001 says :

I have a family member that belonged to SDAC (but I do not) and as far I know only shell fish and pork, something to do with the hooves are are not allowed. Anyway, they advised their church members to be vegetarian but if you do not want to you can still eat eggs,chicken,beef and drink coffee. I think the author of the review should listen to what is called forbidden in the church doctrine than what is only discourage. I guess the way I observe it is that SDAC just have a holistic approach in incorporating their belief to the churchgoers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 51190664980330/k2311a0619/6.19.06