The House Bunny
  • The party themes the movie has are also kind of interesting, especially the Aztec party where they are sacrificing a virgin
  • At first, I thought he was a mean guy but seeing him eat all that ice cream because he was depressed over her leaving was pretty cute
  • And, I would regret it if I didn't take a moment to applaud Beverly D'Angelo in her role as a competing House Mother
  • Was this the best movie I've seen in a while
  • It won't be the best movie you've seen but it certainly will be better than you will expect it to be and I recommend watching it so you can find that out for yourself

• by Steve

When I got the movie The House Bunny, I’ll admit I didn’t know what to expect from it. On one hand, it looked like it would be a cute, funny movie. On the other, it looked like it might be pushing the limits a bit and could simply be a stupid film with no value whatsoever. Fortunately for me, it turned out to be the former of the two. Anna Faris is an underrated actress; at least when it comes to comedies.

I loved her in the Scary Movie films (especially the first one) and she brought that same goofiness to this movie too. Faris plays Shelly, a bunny at Hugh Hefner’s Playboy mansion who gets a letter from her boss telling her she is no longer welcome at the mansion and must move out. Not knowing what to do on her own, she ends up taking a job at a sorority as a house mother because the lifestyle reminded her of a smaller version of the mansion. Now I want to take a couple minutes to warn you, this film is very similar to about a couple dozen college films I’ve seen.

First, the sororities in this movie have nothing to do with encouraging sister-hood or working toward higher academics. Instead, the movie assumes women just join sororities to be popular and meet men. You, of course, have the most popular sorority on campus and,

because they are popular, the women in it hate everyone who doesn’t belong. They are mean to all outsiders; as are the members of the fraternities that socialize with them.

And, of course, the one sorority Shelly decides to become a house mother two is the run-down one that has only a few members because they are unpopular and no woman wants to join an unpopular sorority. After all, in a campus that has thousands of women, there are only 7 that are homely and all the rest of them are super hot and only want to be part of the popular crowd. We also shouldn’t overlook the tired old theme that the other fraternities and sororities, rather than teaching their members to be kind to others (which every real-life one I’ve visited does) instead chooses to pick on the one smaller sorority by doing everything from changing the lyrics to “Like a Virgin” at a Karaoke party to sending a pig into the house. And, most importantly, rather than trying to focus on inner beauty and convincing the members of the sorority they are perfect the way they are (whether they are very short or wear a metallic back-brace), the way to win over the crowd is to go through an extreme make-over so the men are obsessed over them.

There are very few outfits in this movie that don’t at least reveal some cleavage ...

• or show a belly button because we have the underlying assumption that men are only attracted to women who wear that sort of stuff. Still, the movie does manage to be funny in so many different ways. First Shelly turns out to be smarter than she originally seems (even though she really has no knowledge of current events and can’t say philanthropy to save her life). But, she also seems to have issues in actual social situations when she’s on a couple dates with a guy she actually likes and seems to like her more than for her body.

I liked that because too many movies try to paint beautiful women as being overly confident. It was great to see some of her flaws too. The party themes the movie has are also kind of interesting, especially the Aztec party where they are sacrificing a virgin. It was interesting but I have to wonder exactly where they got the money to buy all the stuff.

Shelly obviously didn’t have any, I find it hard to believe 7 college kids have it or that the school would give them the money for all that stuff. The twist at the end of the film, where Shelly wasn’t really thrown out of the mansion and Hugh wanted her to be Miss November was also pretty interesting; though admittedly a bit predictable. At first, I thought he was a mean

guy but seeing him eat all that ice cream because he was depressed over her leaving was pretty cute. You wouldn’t expect the founder of Play Boy to act like that.

And, I would regret it if I didn’t take a moment to applaud Beverly D’Angelo in her role as a competing House Mother. At first, I didn’t recognize her (though I should have considering I’ve seen each of the vacation movies at least a dozen times). All I remember is she seemed very familiar and much meaner than she looked. When I realized who it was, I was amazed at how good of a job she was doing and had to point it out to my wife right away.

Was this the best movie I’ve seen in a while? No, of course not. I’ve seen better written and even funnier films. And, like I said before, the plot uses the same concepts every other college movie, starting from Animal House has used and can be a bit predictable at times as well. But, Faris does a great job holding the movie together and I feel there are enough twists and turns throughout to keep it entertaining.

You have a great cast and a plot that is just unique enough to make you want to keep watching. It won’t be the best movie you’ve seen but it certainly will be better than you will expect it to be and I recommend watching it so you can find that out for yourself.

The House Bunny

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112903649320631/k2311a0329/3.29.09