Bones: Double Trouble in the Panhandle
  • In my opinion, everything about this episode was fantastic
  • The fact they are conjoined really makes the show interesting because, obviously, they aren't going to be the typical victim you would see on Law & Order
  • At first, when Booth and Bones decided to go undercover and join the circus as a knife-throwing act, I thought the episode would turn out to be very stupid
  • I think the producers went out of their way to show as much cleavage in her outfits as possible
  • I'm glad they got back to more bizarre murder mysteries rather than the boring stuff they've had recently

• by Steve

The last few episodes of the show Bones have been a bit dull compared to what the series previously offered. So, I was pleasantly surprised last night when the show returned to TV with an episode entitled “Double Trouble in the Panhandle. ” In my opinion, everything about this episode was fantastic. First, you have the victims; a pair of conjoined twins who had run away to join the circus. They were apparently killed at the same time and have identical wounds on the back of their heads. The fact they are conjoined really makes the show interesting because, obviously, they aren’t going to be the typical victim you would see on Law & Order.

And, because they belonged to a circus, we are told finding out how they died is nearly impossible since the people in that line of work do not talk to outsiders. At first, when Booth and Bones decided to go undercover and join the circus as a knife-throwing act, I thought the episode would turn out to be very stupid. It actually was, in a way, but it managed to be more entertaining than anything. First of all, Brennan looked pretty darned hot as a traveling carnie, especially when she wore her show outfit and stood against the wall while Booth threw knives at her. I think the producers

went out of their way to show as much cleavage in her outfits as possible.

And, watching them live together in that small trailer (with only one bed) was definitely funny. They sounded like the old married couple they were supposed to be pretending to be. I really loved how Bones’ team convinced her to put up a Web cam to record the show for them so they “could watch and offer feed back. ” The best part was the show itself. You have Booth scared silly about the show because he’s afraid of screwing up and hurting Bones.

And, you have the normally reserved Bones going out of her way to put on a show. It started with him popping balloons. Then she put an apple on her head and finally a big nose on her face for him to hit with the knife. I’m not sure, but I think the danger was really starting to turn her on. I think maybe she needs to sit down with Sweets for a while and discuss that before she gets herself killed seeking a thrill.

And, who knew she once performed in the circus as a high wire act? Again, if you watch the show and see how all business she is you would never suspect she would do some sort of dangerous occupation like ...

• that. Why haven’t we heard all of this before?

As for the case itself, I did like that investigation as well, simply because we are led off on a couple different paths with different suspects. You have the doctor who was supposed to perform the operation to separate the twins, until a lawsuit was successful in stopping him. I’m still a bit disturbed by the fact he actually had sex with both of them on separate occasions. That’s a bit disturbing both because he is a doctor and the fact they were conjoined.

That’s an image you just can’t get out of your head. Then we are led to believe it’s the strong man; the one guy in the circus with the ability to hit one twin hard enough with a foam hammer to cause her head to strike the other one and kill both instantly. At first, I didn’t think he could be a suspect. He just seemed like too nice of a guy to resort to violence, though I will admit I thought he might have been hiding something considering he didn’t really want to talk about the twins. When he ran from Booth and Brennan though I did think they found their guy.

And yes, he really is strong. You should have seen him bring down that tent. When it

was all said and done though, I like how they decided to end this; not with a murder but an actual accident (as Booth says, the one time someone actually decided to cover up an accident by making it look like a murder). The strong man is still guilty, but for something else other than murder and, even though he agrees to cooperate with the FBI, I have to admit I wasn’t surprised when the entire circus packed up and fled during the middle of the night. I am still a bit confused by Booth and Brennan though.

I can understand why they would remain overnight in the trailer but why did they sleep in their performance costumes (assuming they were sleeping, after all, it did only have one bed)? I know they had a change of clothes with them. Did they not bring something to sleep in? Or were they overly exhausted and just decided not to get changed? That’s probably the only part of this episode that really didn’t make a lot of sense for me and I would change. Overall though, this is an episode that reminded me of why I started liking this show in the first place. I’m glad they got back to more bizarre murder mysteries rather than the boring stuff they’ve had recently. I can only hope future episodes live up to the same standards as this one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102903649300631/k2311a0329/3.29.09