Saw V  » Movies  »
2.5
  • Look, I'll be willing to admit the movie Saw and it's sequel, Saw II were much better than I expected them to be and would recommend them to anyone
  • Unfortunately for the Saw series, this happened by the third movie
  • But, in a way, that might be what the major problem with this film series is
  • But, I think, if I were in a similar situation and had to choose between sawing off my own leg or starving to death (like in the first film) that would be a tougher decision to make

• by Steve

Look, I’ll be willing to admit the movie Saw and it’s sequel, Saw II were much better than I expected them to be and would recommend them to anyone. But, after a while, you can have only so many sequels before a franchise gets beaten to death. Unfortunately for the Saw series, this happened by the third movie. So, when I was forced to watch the fifth installment, Saw V, I kind of figured it wouldn’t be any good. Unfortunately, I was right about that. I’ll also take a second to admit I don’t remember much about what happened in the first four movies.

After all, I don’t take and re-watch all the previous films before watching the latest. And, this isn’t like a weekly television show where what previously happened would be still fresh in your memory. But, in a way, that might be what the major problem with this film series is; they are trying to take a serial plot that is more suitable for TV and make it into a variety of movies. So, where do I begin with what’s wrong with this film?

I guess my first problem with it would be the fact the main killer, Jigsaw, is dead. He’s been dead for a while now.

Perhaps

the movie would still have some merit if they had some undiscovered victims still trying to make it out alive or something. But, having a police detective (who was essentially blackmailed into helping him to start) carrying out his legacy is starting to seem a bit dumb. First, the plot is very predictable. You know who the bad guy is and you know what he’s up to. This is unlike the first Saw movies where you were left in the dark about quite a few things.

Secondly, the five victims in this movie are put through a series of life or death decisions as punishment for their crimes are facing challenges that kind of make you want to yawn when you compare it to previous films. OK, you have to fight over keys to get out of a room and not be the person to die. Yes, that can be stressful. But, I think, if I were in a similar situation and had to choose between sawing off my own leg or starving to death (like in the first film) that would be a tougher decision to make. Not to mention, the ironic twist at the end of their journey (where they could have all survived rather than killing each other ...

• off one at a time) really lacked the same substance as other films too.

Once again . yawn. I think the biggest problem with that is the lesson didn’t really add up to the crime. You have a bunch of people who, in their own separate ways, caused the death of several others because of an arson. How is teaching them the importance of teamwork serving as a lesson? Or are they supposed to be thinking of the others so they end up saving themselves? A better lesson than the first, but still not really living up to the crime they committed.

And, I’m sorry, but the admission of the surviving two that they deserved to be there just doesn’t work for me. I could have been watching a Law & Order episode and come up with essentially the same thrill. Then, of course, you’re missing one of the central themes to the previous films; everyday citizens being forced to carry out their own separate parts of Jigsaw’s plans through a kidnapping or some other form of blackmail; whether it was trying to kill someone or kidnapping a person, etc. That allowed a bunch of smaller plot points that added to the overall film. Instead, we have a good cop

chasing down a bad cop before he commits another murder.

Again; anyone see the latest Law & Order episode? Or the last dozen or so action films. When we began watching the movie, we had hoped, at most, it would tie up some lose ends from other films; such as what happened to the girl who was being held hostage a couple movies ago. The fourth movie was supposed to do that but, to our disappointment, left more questions than answers. On that level, it succeeded a bit. But, it left quite a few lose ends of its own.

First, what ever happened to Cary Elwes’ character from the first movie? Did he get out alive or did he die? That’s still not explained and is something that honestly has been bugging my wife because she doesn’t know. Then you have Jigsaw’s ex-wife making an appearance and receiving some sort of locked box. We never find out what’s inside that box. That last part, along with the criminal police detective getting away, is setting up another movie and I’m afraid to see it. This movie really isn’t very good and I hate the idea of yet another sequel trying to get my money for something with lesser quality.

It’s time to either put this film series to rest or turn it into a weekly television series instead.

Saw V

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112903649290631/k2311a0329/3.29.09