Applied Behavioral Analysis  » Education  »
online and various locations
  • From personal experience and all those training, I make use of my own techniques by combining various models/concepts to deal with my students
  • Among the concepts I like using is the Applied Behavioral Analysis
  • Although I have learned all that, still I know it is limited
  • I find this interesting and I am looking into it
  • I think, other professionals who deals with children with special needs can benefit from such courses

• by lipsticknladdles

As an Occupational Therapist and as a special education teacher, I went thru a lot of seminars and workshops that helped me not only to improved my craft but also to address the unique needs of individual students. From personal experience and all those training, I make use of my own techniques by combining various models/concepts to deal with my students. Among the concepts I like using is the Applied Behavioral Analysis. It is a behavioral treatment model formulated by Dr. Ivar Lovaas. It is usually used with children between the ages of two and eight. Children with pervasive developmental disorder like autism, rett’s, aspergers and also those with attention deficit disorder benefit from Applied Behavioral Analysis.

Among the concepts of ABA that I like using are the as follows:

/> The use of Reinforcements- It is basically a way of strengthening and increasing the behavior of a child. Positive reinforcements and negative reinforcements are used to do that. It can be done by giving rewards every time a desired behavior is displayed by the child.

The Use of Prompts- Prompts are cues or assistance used by the teacher to encourage a behavior or a skill. It can be visual, verbal or thru gestures and hand over hand assistance. The prompts can vary in degree from minimal to moderate to maximal. Then later on, fading of prompts may be applied until such time that assistance is no longer necessary to achieve a certain behavior.

And finally, the use of structure in environment and in schedules. After teaching the child various skills such as imitation ...

• and following instructions, I structure the environment and make schedule boards.

With the use of all these, I am able to achieve a lot of goals for my students including improvement of communication skills, enhancement of social skills, promoting acceptable behavior and even enrichment of cognitive skills. Also, it works effectively in diminishing self-stimulatory, self-injurious and repetitive behavior. I can testify to the effectiveness of this approach.

Although I have learned all that, still I know it is limited. I have heard that there is a formal training being offered for the mastery of the theories and application of Applied Behavioral Analysis. I find this interesting and I am looking into it. Based on some research, I found out that The Chicago School of Professional Psychology and Institute for Applied Behavior Analysis

are among the schools that gives certification on such course. I think, other professionals who deals with children with special needs can benefit from such courses.

As for parents of children with pervasive developmental disorder who wants to avail clinic-based or consultation-based intervention, you might want to check out Lovaas Institute. They have treatment centers all over United States. All information that you need to know are found in the FAQs of their website.

I personally think that having the knowledge on ABA can also help parents deal with their kids (even those without developmental and behavioral disorders). If you don’t want to spend much on courses, books can help you learn about the use of ABA concepts and with a little modification and individualization, it may help a lot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 502903648820531/k2311a0329/3.29.09