Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router
  • I was recommended this router by several users on forums and after hearing other good things about it I decided to go ahead and purchase it
  • The only connection drop-outs are experience occur when playing PS3 online
  • Overall I think that the Linksys WRT54G is a solid router to purchase
  • For me the initial set up process was not user-friendly at all but that could have just been an issue on my end

• by VGReviewer

As broadband internet becomes more and more standard home wireless networks are becoming much more frequent as well. Arguably the component which is most important in ensuring a stable and fast wireless network is the router. In this review I will be looking at one of the more popular routers, namely the Linksys WRT54G.

I was recommended this router by several users on forums and after hearing other good things about it I decided to go ahead and purchase it. Although it took some fiddling to get it set up initially now that I have done so

it provides a stable and fast network which adequately meets my needs.

As I mentioned the initial set up process was not very user-friendly to someone who is relatively new at this sort of thing like myself. The packaged installation disk, which was supposed to configure the router settings and link with any applicable devices, did not work which meant I was forced to go through the process of doing it manually. This involved many hours of reading online guides and a lot of trial and error to find settings which worked. Although it was a pain ...

• at the time the advantage now is that I am much more informed about how it all works and so if there are problems I can sort them out much more effectively than I otherwise could.

Once I had everything set up the performance of the router was quite good. My home network consists of one PC connected via cable, another PC connected by Wi-Fi, a laptop which is occasionally connected, a PS3 system which is connected through Wi-Fi and finally a Nintendo Wii which is also connected through Wi-Fi. With all these components connected the connection

remains stable, although I very rarely am running all of them at the same time. The only connection drop-outs are experience occur when playing PS3 online. They are not too frequent but when they do occur they are very annoying.

Overall I think that the Linksys WRT54G is a solid router to purchase. For me the initial set up process was not user-friendly at all but that could have just been an issue on my end. Once set up was complete the router was mostly stable with the only problems of note being some occasional drop outs in online gaming.

Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 332903648370431/k2311a0329/3.29.09