CATS the Broadway Musical (dvd)  » Entertainment  »
  • I love watching the Broadway musical CATS on DVD
  • The costumes as I said are really amazing, as is the acting

• by Bookwyrm

CATS is the most popular musical of all time and is based on “Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats” by T.S. Eliot. The unforgettable music is by Andrew Lloyd Webber. It has broken all Broadway records, running nonstop from 1982 to 2000 with 7,485 live shows. The musical stars Elaine Paige and Sir John Mills.

The story in CATS is pretty simple. Once every year the cats meet at the Jellicle Ball under the full moon. There they choose the single cat that will be given the honor of going up to the Heaviside Layer, to be reborn. This should be an

older cat, of course. Throughout the musical we meet many different cats that might be chosen, each one being unique. There is also a villain in CATS called Macavity and he causes a bit of trouble. Old Deuteronomy presides over the ball and is a grandfather type figure. It’s also his job to choose which cat should be reborn to come back to a new life. The entire story is told through singing and dancing.

I love watching the Broadway musical CATS on DVD. It has fantastic costumes and the music has so much energy it makes you want to get up out of your chair and try to dance along to the people on the screen. Maybe that sounds a bit crazy, but the music has a really good rhythm. If you’ve never seen CATS and can’t get out to see it in person (as I never have), the dvd version gives you a front row seat.

I love all of the various characters in the musical and after watching it a few times they become old friends and easily recognizable. One of my favorites is the magician cat, Mr. Mistoffelees. How do they get lightning to shoot from his hands? And then at ...

• CATS the Broadway Musical (dvd)
      the end of his song he leaps up into the air and just vanishes in a flash of light! Rum Tum Tugger, who is quite the showoff, looks like a Maine Coon cat with the big ruff around his neck. I have a soft spot for Maine Coons as I’ve always had them for pets. Victoria with her all white body is easy to spot. I also love the shadowy, ghost-like Growltiger that slinks across the stage while Gus is singing about his days in the theatre. The costumes as I said are really amazing, as is the acting.

But the songs

and music is what I love the most! I love singing along to my favorite songs and often I can sing them without the music. “Skimbleshankes the Railway Cat” is a very happy and up-tempo song. “Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer” is another one of my favorite songs as is “Mr. Mistoffelees”. As for just plain music, I love the second half of “The Jellicle Ball” where the music goes up-tempo!

The DVD also has a ‘behind the scenes’ where they show how they made the DVD version. It also has an interactive menu where you can choose which song you want to watch/listen to.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592803647980631/k2311a0328/3.28.09