Custer’s Last Stand-the Battle of the Little Bighorn  » Travel  »
10 East Railway, Hardin, Montana, USA
  • Afterward, we were allowed to wander about the site, driving and walking, which I would recommend as the territory to cover is vast
  • The rolling hills and endless sky of Montana is also a gorgeous setting, and at $20 a ticket for adults and $8 for children, it is a non-expensive history lesson as well as an interesting outing

• by Jessie Bahrey

For me as a Canadian, who didn’t learn much about the Battle of the Little Bighorn, General Custer, or really any U. S.

history, I was very eager to visit the Custer’s Last Stand Reenactment Site near Hardin, Montana.

I was traveling across the northern U.

S.

States and insisted to my travel companion that we stop here.

It was early April, so it was off-season and therefore

there were no reenactment ’shows’, but the site, which included many miles of rolling hills, and a museum, was open.

First, I went to the museum to get an idea of the chronology of the dramatic and nation-changing event.

Afterward, we were allowed to wander about the site, driving and walking, which I would recommend as the territory to cover is vast.

The paths are clearly marked ...

• with historical markers, which tell the story of Custer, his Native scouts and the soldiers.

Reading the story is one thing; then, being able to walk on the land where the battle actually took place, made it very real, and for a history buff like me, a great experience.

The grave markers are indeed sobering, when you realize just how many died here on these plains.

I can think of no better teaching tool than this site, and for anyone interested in history, or to teach children a very important chapter in North American history, this is a must-see.

The rolling hills and endless sky of Montana is also a gorgeous setting, and at $20 a ticket for adults and $8 for children, it is a non-expensive history lesson as well as an interesting outing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382803647700631/k2311a0328/3.28.09