Newport Whiting Dressed/Headless Frozen Fish  » Food  »
  • Once properly cooked, they tasted very delicious
  • I just fry them up with a bit of flour, as I like the simple yummy taste of fried whiting
  • I prefer ocean fish and whiting taste the best of the ones I've tried

• by Bookwyrm

I have bought these fish many times and am always very pleased with them. Yesterday I cooked them again and they turned out as excellent as always. These are raw headless whiting fish that still have their tails. They come in a large box and inside the box they are in a plastic bag.

Yesterday there were nine fish in the box. Six of the fish were large and the other three were a bit smaller. The number of the fish in the box is always different as it depends on the size and weight of

the individual fish. If all the fish are very large then there may be only five or six fish in the box. Even if the number of fish changes, you will always receive five pounds of fish to eat.

I liked that the fish were very fresh, even if they had been frozen. I didn’t notice any obvious fishy smell from them when I opened the box. They had dark colored backs with pale bellies, as whiting does. They were easy to slice and prepare for frying. If you’ve never done this before, then you may ...

• find it a bit difficult, but it’s not really all that hard. I slice each fish in half and remove the inner skeleton.

Once properly cooked, they tasted very delicious. The fish was light, flaky and moist. I just fry them up with a bit of flour, as I like the simple yummy taste of fried whiting. These are ocean fish so they don’t posses that odd flavor that many river or lake fish do. My grandmother used to say fresh water fish tasted like mud and they do have a weird taste. I prefer ocean

fish and whiting taste the best of the ones I’ve tried.

I also like the low cost. A five-pound box of fish costs about eight dollars - not too bad considering the price per pound for other types of ocean fish. They used to be a bit less, but the price has gone up, as prices tend to do. They are still a good deal though and are much better than those dry fish sticks.

These fish are also a product of the USA, which is great. Buying these helps other Americans keep their jobs in a tough economy.

berna dean says :

we are originally from Chicago where they sold the whiting in the box, loved it. we now live in Houston where we used to find it at krogers, but no more. sooooooooo where did you buy your fish and can I buy it online?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272703647361031/k2311a0327/3.27.09