Yahoo Messenger  » Software  »
0.5
  • Worst, they forced you to upgrade the version you had if you wanted to use it

• by Bookwyrm

This is one of the worst instant messengers around. I used to use it a few times a week, but it caused so many problems that it just wasn’t worth the hassle and headaches it gave me. It also seems they are always “new and improving” it and with every change it grew worst. In the end every time I opened the messenger up to use it, my computer froze up and crashed.

The purpose of an instant messenger is so you can talk to your friends in real time by typing messages. All an instant messenger really needs is a box to type your message in and a place for the sent message to

appear. Yahoo doesn’t know this. They added many “bells and whistles” to an otherwise uncomplicated device making it into a horrible disaster. Mainly they added a ton of fancy graphics. I remember you had backgrounds to choose from plus various characters you could create. The images must have been gifs as they moved, blinked eyes and so forth. The image was in a big square to one side of the messages. I suppose there are people that like that sort of thing, but I see it as unnecessary. It just takes more of the power and memory of my computer that I could be using for whatever web page I’m on at the time. Perhaps ...

• Yahoo expects one to not be on any web page when they’re using their messenger I really don’t know.

Worst, they forced you to upgrade the version you had if you wanted to use it. If you didn’t upgrade it, then you couldn’t talk to your friend. I really hated this, as I liked the old graphic-free Yahoo.

The graphic-heavy Yahoo messenger always caused my computer to freeze up and crash soon after I launched it to talk to a friend. It happened without fail. Yes, I have an older computer but it has no real problems handling graphics on other web sites and I even play online video games daily. It is clear to me

that Yahoo has something that those other sites don’t and that it’s a big resource hog. That was several years ago and I’m sure by now it must have grown much worst.

I also remember that there was no way to remove friends off your friend list. That seems a bit stupid to me. A person should be able to update the list as things happen. Friends fight, they loose touch over the years, their interests change and people even die. The list should reflect these changes and not be filled with outdated information.

This is a very poorly designed messenger that is high on graphics and low on the common functions one needs to talk to friends.

Yahoo Messenger

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 302703647331031/k2311a0327/3.27.09