Jamestown Virginia  » Travel  »
James Island Drive Jamestown Virginia
  • Recently my friend and I decided to take a trip to Jamestown Virginia
  • I think a visit to Jamestown is in order for those folks interested in history
  • We enjoyed our day although at 20.00 for two people it was fairly expensive

• by snowy

Recently my friend and I decided to take a trip to Jamestown Virginia. We opted for the National Park version of this site, since it was slightly less expensive than the Jamestown Historic site.

The National Park site is a short drive down the Colonial Parkway off of Virginia I64 and 199. You drive down James Island drive which is a loop that takes you all around Jamestown Island, along the way to the National Park Site you see all sorts of pull offs

with historic placards all along the way. You are treated to beautiful views across the James River.

Once you reach the historic site you park in the Visitors Center Parking Lot and enter the building whereupon you pay a badge to enable you to visit the site. This is also good for seven days and lets you visit Yorktown Battlefield as well. There is a movie located in the building as well as a gift shop. We skipped the movie and went on the ...

• walking tour.

Once you pay your admission you go on a walkway to the historic site, you go through the Pitch and Tar Swamp, which has a number of turtles and other inhabitants, to the site itself located on the James River, there you see the Tercentary monument to the colony erected in 1907, the Olde church the settlers used, original burial sites, and the landing site. You also see the Ambler Ross ruins from the time.

You can opt to tour with a

ranger, or to take a self paced tour through the area. It is a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

On your way out you can see the ruins of the old glasshouse and see modern folks in colonial garb blowing glass and selling it to the visitors. I think a visit to Jamestown is in order for those folks interested in history. You should make it part of your Historic triangle visit. We enjoyed our day although at 20.00 for two people it was fairly expensive.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382703646760631/k2311a0327/3.27.09