Everblooming Hardy Geraniums From Breck’s
  • I was so impressed with their beauty in my rock gardens, as they mingled with my old-fashioned roses

• by WebScribe

After today’s blustery snow shower in the suburbs west of Boston, do I dare presage spring planting time by reviewing unusual but beautiful multi-colored geranium ground cover from that old, reliable Breck’s seed and plant company? As the last piles of crusty snow melt away, let this writer fill your imagination with the vision of low-clumping shades of pink, purple and white geranium ground cover gracing and unifying your flower beds from late spring to frost. Are you envisioning those large-flowered annuals sold in flats at your local garden center? Those round-leaved annuals are not true geraniums at

all!

True geraniums are hardy perennials with which Breck’s offers to fill your garden, providing cascades of color from late spring into fall. As I write, these hardy wonders that I planted in my flower beds last spring are just showing new signs of life, ready to grow into dense tufts of foliage which, after blooming all spring and summer, will turn beautiful shades of rust and crimson again this fall. I was so impressed with their beauty in my rock gardens, as they mingled with my old-fashioned roses! Yet these flowers were so easy to maintain, that my ...

• neighbors asked where they might purchase their own true geraniums for their window boxes and hanging baskets, since these collections are not available in stores.

Since I’ve ordered my garden seeds and plants from Breck’s for years, like a rite of spring, I’ve come to trust the company’s Lifetime Guarantee: There is no time limit, no need to return any plant(s)that fail to grow in healthy profusion. Breck’s will always send your choice of a replacement plant or a refund, which is particularly important to this gardener this year, as I feel the effects of the slowing economy along

with the rest of the country. Choose two each of “album” (pure white), magenta pink “Patricia”, purple and white “Splish Splash”, ice-pink “Ballerina” and “Johnson’s” lavender blue in groups of 10 plants for $29.99 or 20 plants for $54.99. If you love gardening, delight in beautifying your home, but want low-care flower beds that spread and return year after year, I wish you could see how colorfully this ground cover filled in my flower beds last year, and how reliably all these plants are returning this spring. The highest recommendation I can give is to tell you that I’m ordering more!

joy raikes says :

I just received my everblooming hardy geraniums. It was obvious on four of the colors, which end should be up. However, the Album plants don`t look like any of the others. They have what looks like fuzzy ends to three or four stems and one or two long spindly roots on the other end. I thought the fuzzy ends were the roots but since they are entirely different from the other plants, I`m afraid I will plant them upside down.

WebScribe replies :

Hi Joy - It`s hard for me to remember how I planted the Album plants I got last year, and I haven`t yet received the ones I ordered this year, although I inquired and they said they`re coming very soon. But I`m pretty sure I planted the long roots down - whatever I did, they bloomed beautifully. I think my reasoning was that it didn`t make any sense why the long spindly things should be UP, so I assumed they were roots I sure hope I`m guiding you correctly You could call their customer service at 513-354-1512, or else there`s an online form where you can email them for help Just go to help? , at the top of the Breck`s page on left next to Home , and a form will come up for you to email. Glad to hear from you, though - it proves that when we send reviews, sometimes they are truly helpful Now I just hope my advice here turns out to be helpful, too Good luck

farmpetitewoman says :

can you tell me how well they grow and bloom the first year when planted?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532603646590431/k2311a0326/3.26.09