Film Who Framed Roger Rabbit  » Movies  »
  • I'd seen the advertisements, and while it sure did seem different than anything I'd ever seen, I think that seeing it on the big screen was an experience unlike anything I'd ever seen before

• by selphiealmasy8

Truly one of the most innovative films of the 1980’s, I don’t believe that anyone truly expected what this film was before they witnessed it.

I remember seeing it at the theater when I was around nine years old. I’d seen the advertisements, and while it sure did seem different than anything I’d ever seen, I think that seeing it on the big screen was an experience unlike anything I’d ever seen before.

And being 9 years old I wished feverently to be

exactly like Jessica Rabbit when I grew up. Aw… That wish didn’t come true.

Set in the 1940’s Who Framed Roger Rabbit takes place in a Hollywood that never existed, one where humans lived and worked with Toons. Toons were actually alive and lived primarily in a place called Toontown. When Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) accepts a job to take some pictures of toon Roger Rabbit’s sultry wife Jessica (voiced by Kathleen Turner) he doesn’t expect that soon Roger will be framed ...

• for the murder of the man who played patty cake with his beloved Jessica.

Valiant also does not expect to be thrown into a web of deceit and intrigue, one he soon learns effects Toontown and all the toons that live there.

This film used the old Disney technique set in Mary Poppins of combining live action and cartoons but blew even that standard out of the ballpark completely. The toons come alive and have a depth that is shocking. That most of

the animation was drawn by hand and not computer is an asset that lends to the film’s appeal. That these cartoon characters were created in that time and age can only be captured by this medium.

Bob Hoskins is a marvel. That he did not receive an Oscar nomination is sad, indeed. Here is an actor who makes us believe that he is looking, holding and being completely befuddled by a cartoon rabbit. If that isn’t true acting, I don’t know what is.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112603645460231/k2311a0326/3.26.09