India.Arie’s Testimony: Vol. 2: Love and Politics  » Music  »
  • And Psalms 23 is a duet with the legend MC Lyte, and they both brings raw lyrics and rhymes about not letting anyone get the best of them
  • I truly enjoyed the entire CD as I have her previous three

• by Thierry Snipes

Real music strikes again, in the form of something a tad different from India.Arie’s (India Simpson) previous albums. While the soul in her voice remains, embedded and improved upon, the origins of the music used are as diverse as Middle Eastern and as pop as Britney Spears. Ms. Simpson encourages those who listen to her latest album Testimony: Volume 2: Love and Politics to, “Listen to my album in a mental state similar to that of prayer or meditation.” The energy of the record is just what I, and maybe a lot

of other people, have been waiting for.

First, her interludes stand out, four of them altogether, spread throughout the other twelve tracks like smooth-flowing silk. When I heard them, I couldn’t help but say, “I wish these were actual songs on the album!” None of the interludes exceed a minute and a half, but they are magical “breaks” in between songs. India.Arie crafts a beautiful remake of Sade’s “Pearls” and captured me instantly with her radio hits, “Therapy” and “Chocolate High,” her duet with the neo-soul singer Musiq. There were some surprises ...

• on the album, like her song, “Long Goodbye.” In the song she says she’ll take passion over pride if her mate doesn’t leave so soon. It’s sung with a power I’m not used to hearing from India.Arie, but there’s a gracefulness to it that’s not very familiar with India’s usual work as well. Fortunately, they work. Two of my favorites on the album are “River Rise” and “Psalms 23″ When India.Arie sings her slow-tempo “River Rise” she brings her vulnerability to the booth. With lyrics like, “All the material things feel like
        chains, if you’re not here beside me. You’re the reason why I sing.” And “Psalms 23″ is a duet with the legend MC Lyte, and they both brings raw lyrics and rhymes about not letting anyone get the best of them.

I truly enjoyed the entire CD as I have her previous three. There is so much humility and care put into the crafting of her songs. I feel like it took something out of her to bring me such wonderful music, and in return, I fund her art by buying a brand-new CD.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142403644540431/k2311a0324/3.24.09