Avis Car Rental
Schaumburg, IL
  • This past summer I had my first rental car experience for a road trip I was going to be taking
  • When I began looking for a car rental company to go with Avis came back with the best deals for my money, I also preferred the cars they offered to the other companies near me
  • The manager refused to issue any refunds, he said it had to be done before the card was charged, and instead told me to ask for him the next time I made a rental and he would give me a deal
  • I decided to leave it at that and never will I use them again

• by alpha2zulu

This past summer I had my first rental car experience for a road trip I was going to be taking. I guess you can say the whole thing was a mixed bag of opinions, because part of the rental experience was frustrating followed by some really good customer service, only I thought it was.

When I began looking for a car rental company to go with Avis came back with the best deals for my money, I also preferred the cars they offered to the other companies near me. I made the reservation online with my local Avis location and went early to pick up the car. It turned out that the company did not have a car available in the class that I reserved.

I understand that each location is privately owned even though they are all overseen by Avis car rental, so the experience I had isn’t always representative of the entire company. The specific one that I had reserved the car from delivered less than stellar service.

First off like I said, I showed up for my rental and there were no cars. The cars that were in the same category that I reserved had been rented out to walk ins, so there was no point to me reserving it ahead of time and giving them my credit card information. There was one car left in their fleet that was in the category I had reserved, but it was waiting to get an oil change

and another walk in that was there before me was apparently already waiting.

Because they realized that they were making a big mistake in giving all the cars away, they offered me an upgrade, but all they had were trucks or vans. I was not going to go on a road trip with children in a truck or van. So, they ended up calling another Avis and had them bring one of their cars one level up. At the end of the whole thing I had a nicer car for the same price, but I waited two hours. By the time I got out of there I was already supposed to be on the road.

The car road beautifully all the way there and almost all the way home. About 100 miles from home though the car dropped the transmission– that’s a Ford for you!

I had to call the emergency roadside assistance number they give you and they assured me they were coming with a tow truck and another car in the same class- one hour wait. There were four of us and a lot of luggage so we needed a full size sedan at least. Three hours later the tow truck showed up with an economy car, no trunk at all, on the bed for me to get home in.

Both the tow truck driver and myself called the service back and let them know that this wasn’t going to work and they needed to find ...

• me another car. The nearest couple locations didn’t have anything though. So we had to put the car on the bed with all our stuff on it, get in the micro machine and follow the tow truck an hour in the other direction to the airport where they had a car.

We got to the airport and they had several cars, but they still made us wait and wait some more because they didn’t understand why I couldn’t go home in the economy car. Because it was two in the morning by now, I was very upset, and they quickly offered me a car in the same class.

I left the airport, got home and went to the car rental service to return my car in the morning. Mind you I was now late for delivery since we lost six hours dealing with the breakdown and now that all this time had lapsed I needed to sleep in order to drive home safely. The manager was not available when I arrived and I was told he would call before my card was charged so that an arrangement could be made.

Well, I didn’t get a call from the manager till four days later, after I made several calls and trips to the rental service and only after my card was charged. Not only did I get charged for the full rental price, but they charged me to refuel the car that broke down even though I

filled it ten miles before it broke down, and then the extra time that the car was late.

The manager refused to issue any refunds, he said it had to be done before the card was charged, and instead told me to ask for him the next time I made a rental and he would give me a deal. Why would I expect you to take care of me in the future when you don’t take care of me now?

I called Avis customer service and got a really great customer service agent. They let me know that they were going to remove the fuel charge, the late fees, and apply a discount. I was very satisfied and let them know that. Three days later the refund was reflected on my statement, only it wasn’t for the amount that the customer service rep told me. It was significantly less.

I decided to leave it at that and never will I use them again. If you are going to issue a refund, then do it and do it for the amount that you say you will.

Having the car was a great option, but it was a nightmare of an experience that I thought was going to be taken care of. In the end I left it all with a bitter taste and a resolve to go with a company that might be a little more expensive, but that I feel confident in as far as customer service goes.

Avis Car Rental

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 32303643730931/k2311a0323/3.23.09