The Miss Jamaica World Competition  » Entertainment  »
  • I was reading the blog of a Jamaican graphic artist and writer Marlon James when I stumbled up on an interesting article about the Miss Jamaica World Competition
  • I found myself agreeing with what this man had written since I have found myself believing the same thing since a little after I left high school
  • Nevertheless, I had previously enjoyed watching these competitions while growing up regardless of the fact that none of the girls in the competition ever looked like me, had parents like mine and had a life like mine
  • I was told and have always noticed that this was the same thing which occurred even before then
  • However, the competition still troubles me because I think of myself as a liberal feminist, and I think that competitions like these help to lower women's self esteem

• by RedTape

I was reading the blog of a Jamaican graphic artist and writer Marlon James when I stumbled up on an interesting article about the Miss Jamaica World Competition”. I found myself agreeing with what this man had written since I have found myself believing the same thing since a little after I left high school. Nevertheless, I had previously enjoyed watching these competitions while growing up regardless of the fact that none of the girls in the competition ever looked like me, had parents like mine and had a life like mine.

Even though Jamaicans these days still complain about the many of the competitors not being dark or

coming from a middle class background like the average Jamaican, I can remember that even in the nineteen nineties, when I was little many of the contestants seemed lighter than many of those who compete now. I was told and have always noticed that this was the same thing which occurred even before then. The writer “Marlon James” describes it as “The Miss Jamaica Mulatto” factory because many of the girls especially in previous times were in the region of passing for white.

Of course, race and the color of someone’s skin should not be a factor in any society. This should be especially true in the Jamaican society where ...

• our national motto is “Out of Many One People”. However, when a representative is chosen for the women in the majority of a society, and year after year she looks absolutely nothing like them people begin to question what exactly are the standards of beauty and whether or not society has gotten over its past problem of color prejudice (not racial prejudice).

Many of the girls previously chosen to be Miss Jamaica are from upper class Jamaican backgrounds also. Therefore, people also wondered if someone from a middle class background would ever be chosen.

This has begun to change recently as I have now seen them choosing darker skinned girls, and

thus the competition seems a little fairer as there now seems to be a mix of skin colors and the upper and middle social classes. However, the competition still troubles me because I think of myself as a liberal feminist, and I think that competitions like these help to lower women’s self esteem. I can testify to that as I have known one or two of these girls, and around them, normal looking girls begin to have an inferiority complex. Darker skinned girls in society are also trained that this is the standard of beauty and some have resorted to skin bleaching as what they see will be a remedy for that.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592303642580731/k2311a0323/3.23.09