Croaking Lizard (The Jamaican Gecko)  » Other  »
  • However, here I think green tree lizards top the list
  • Recently I have been having a problem with a croaking lizard in my room
  • I know it is a female too, since I have discarded its eggs at various points in time in different areas in my room
  • However, I consider myself lucky as I do not hear it croaking in the days or the nights

• by RedTape

In Jamaica, one of the things people seem to fear the most are lizards. In many other Western countries, spiders seem to be first on the list of things which people fear. However, here I think green tree lizards top the list; and then what seconds them are what we call “croaking lizards” which is actually a type of gecko (the Aristelliger praesignis) which makes a croaking or clucking noise.

These geckos usually are found to have pale, and pinkish skin. Although some

live outside, many are still found in the houses of Jamaicans and disturb their sleep with their croaking in the late nights.

Recently I have been having a problem with a croaking lizard in my room. I have been neither able to catch it or get it out for some months now as it is usually too fast for me. I’m normally not afraid of such creatures as well, but this one seems to have grown to a record breaking size and ...

• weight so I can hear it sometimes while I’m in the house and it’s walking in my room. My mother and younger brother are also having a hard time getting it out, as my mother is afraid of them like many Jamaicans and my brother, like me is scared of it because of its size.

Often times on our brief encounters I find myself running away or cringing in fear of its size. I know it is a female too, since I

have discarded its eggs at various points in time in different areas in my room. I am at a loss as to how to handle this creature without killing it. However, I consider myself lucky as I do not hear it croaking in the days or the nights.

Unlike many other people in my country, I find the smaller ones to be quite attractive regardless of the fact that they do not sport bright stunning colors like many of the other lizards around.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 122303642560731/k2311a0323/3.23.09