Wolmer’s High School for Girls Kingston  » Education  »
Kingston, Jamaica
  • I was also taught that many great people before us had passed through the school, and it was our legacy to excel just like them as our motto was Age Quod Agis which is a Latin phrase meaning Whatever you do, do it to the best of your ability

• by RedTape

I am proud to say that I am and have been a “Wolmarian” for almost ten years. This means that I used to be a student of the “Wolmers High School for Girls” just up until the year 2003 when I graduated from the school. Ironically though, I was not always this proud to be a student of the high school until the years finally drew closer to graduation. This was because when I first went there many of my close friends from prep school (a

private primary level school), had gone to other high schools with each other. Therefore, I grew lonely as I do not make close friends with people very easily. However, it was another Wolmarian who lived near me who told me I would make new friends after a while, which I did.

Initially, “Wolmers” was only one school when it was created in the late eighteenth century. It was created because on May 21, 1729 because it was instructed by the late John Wolmer in his will to ...

• build a free school in the parish in which he would die. Nevertheless, after the great 1907 earthquake in Jamaica, the school was relocated, and over the years became an all girls’ high school (Wolmer’s High School for Girls), an all boys’ high school (Wolmer’s High School for Boys) and a private primary level school (Wolmer’s Preparatory School). It is still seen as the oldest school in the English Speaking Caribbean.

I grew to love my school because of the unity of the alumnae, what we

all learned, how I saw certain people change and what was expected of us. At times it was a cross between a charm school and a high school, as we were constantly being taught to behave like “ladies”. I was also taught that many great people before us had passed through the school, and it was our legacy to excel just like them as our motto was “Age Quod Agis” which is a Latin phrase meaning “Whatever you do, do it to the best of your ability.”

Sanjay Manley says :

I have an outstanding athlete who i know has alot of potential her GSAT grades arent bad. She would have done much better but she got sick on the examination day. I would love to get the chance to get her even a trial at wolmers because i know that she would fit in perfectly as she is very disciplined and an outstanding athlete.

redtape replies :

Perhaps you should contact Wolmers.

Obrian says :

I would like to what is the cost of Devlopmental fee for the coming school year for a 7th grader. Does the fee for the girls differ from the boys? Awaiting your speedy response. Thank you, Obrian

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 502303642550731/k2311a0323/3.23.09