Port Royal Jamaica  » Leisure  »
  • I did not think I would experience that feeling, but when I went in there myself and went closer to the bottom I did feel giddy

• by RedTape

When I was little, Port Royal used to be one of my favorite places to go with my family. I can remember us going there a few times on Friday nights and either walking about, standing up on the pier or eating steamed fish at a restaurant near there. At that time I did not know much about the cultural significance of the place both nationally and internationally. However, about 2 and a half or three years ago, my aunt took my cousin and I there again and I realized that it was not the same place I had been used to visiting years ago. I was very disappointed.

Many people who are interested in old pirates, or who watched the “Pirates

of the Caribbean” trilogy might have heard some mention of the old city Port Royal. At that time Jamaica was a colony of Britain and Port Royal became known as “Sin City” because the place was frequented by pirates as was seen in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies, as well as British officers and a few aristocrats who were looking to have some fun. Therefore, the Port Royal today, still has a few descendants of the mix of slaves and these British people.

There are also still remnants of the culture which can be seen in the Port Royal Museum further into the town. I went there with my aunt and cousin some years ago and was able to see ...

• things such as swords, medical equipment from the time, cannons, crockery and teacups. I even got to see “The Giddy House” which is a main attraction. This was a place called “The Royal Artillery Store” which was sunken by a major earthquake felt in Port Royal in 1907 while Jamaica was still a colony. The reason they call it “The Giddy House” is because when people go in there now they have a feeling of vertigo or “giddiness”. I did not think I would experience that feeling, but when I went in there myself and went closer to the bottom I did feel giddy.

There are also rumors of sunken treasure near the city of Port Royal. Just recently I also heard

that the government or an organization was planning on building an underwater museum so that people who are taking a tour can see the part of Port Royal sunken by the earthquake which occurred there in 1962 as well as marine life.

These days Port Royal is not as luxurious as it was hundreds of years ago. The houses are small and cramped, the inhabitants are poor like the slaves who once lived there and various buildings are falling a part. When I went there recently, I could not believe the state of disrepair that the place was in, even though they claimed that they were going to fix it up. Port Royal plays a very important role to the history of my country.

Clarke says :

How did the giddy house got like that

Redtape replies :

Well, it got like that after a major earthquake in the 1600s. If you want to know more about it, you can read about it online, or there`s a documentary on national geographic that talks about the life of real pirates in port royal and the earthquake.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 612303642540731/k2311a0323/3.23.09